Macbook sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asrmatt, Apr 23, 2008.

1. asrmatt macrumors regular

asrmatt

It happened to me more than once to fall asleep at night leaving my new macbook ON (working with battery).

The macbook goes to sleep after a bit but in the morning there's no way to make it "wake up" if not plugging it again.
    The battery is absoluty not dead because when I plug it in it says "95%" or similar.
    But no key seems to wake it up, as i said, unless i plug the macbook again.

Is there something I'm not doing right?

Thanks for any advice...!

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

What happens when you plug it in? Does it "wake up" or does it boot as if it was shutdown?

And does the 95% number you see indicate that it has 95% charge left?

Did you setup a Schedule in Energy Save to shut the machine down at certain times?

-Kevin

3. asrmatt thread starter macrumors regular

asrmatt

When I plug it in, it wakes up if I press the "esc" key. As in normal sleep mode.
    But it absolutely reacts to nothing if I don't plug it in...

And yes, after it wakes up again it usually says battery is charged 90-95%, so it's not about the battery.

I'll check today if there Energy Savings settings! (i'm using my work pc now)

Let me say it only happens during long periods of "sleep" like at night.
    During the day I just wake it up with no problem (even when unplugged)

Thanks for the help!
    Greatly appreciated! :apple:

4. gtimark macrumors member

My 1-month old MB also can't handle "sleep" very smoothly -- unlike my Dell Latitude w/XP :(

I seem to have the same long-sleep problem you're having. In fact, I'm finding Leopard to be rather glitchy and unable to run smoothly. Is Tiger this rough and unpolished???

The real bug is "sleep." I hardly ever use it anymore, because of the awakening issues. I hope there will be some refinements of XP ...er, I mean OS X .. down the road.

5. asrmatt thread starter macrumors regular

asrmatt

My old iBook with Tiger never had any of these "long sleep" problems I'm having with Leopard...
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue!

I've checked the "Energy Save" settings but there seems to be nothing different from what i had on the iBook.

mmm :(

6. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Yeah i have that same problem, where it wont wake up until I plug it in.

I always thouhgt it was because, OS X is programmed to reserve the last 5% of battery (or something around there) for sleep mode only. For example, OS X detects it only has 5% left. so it goes into sleep mode, to preserve that last 5% as long as possible. Plus, if the batteries die, i think it'd be healthier for the hardware if the batteries died while in sleep mode, rather then died while running normally.

So,, reason it wont wake up, is cause, it knows it doesnt have enough battery to wake up and continue functioning normally, so it chooses not to wake up. I guess its an announance. But wouldnt it be worse, if batteries died in the middle of the wake-up process, and then one of your files got corrupt?

7. gtimark macrumors member

But it is still a glitch in the programming, isn't it?? Mine has trouble waking up even when the battery reserve is > 70%. It seems to be the prolonged sleep period that fools the programming.

Interestingly, this is my second brand-new MB in 2 months -- I exchanged the first due to an unrelated keyboard malfunction. Anyway, the first MB also had the strange sleeping problem. I was hoping that the problem was unique to it, but I guess not. :(