Macbook sleeping problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacMosher, Jan 18, 2009.

1. MacMosher macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Hi all,

I have read a couple different posts with people having some issues with their macbooks sleeping issues(mostly it seems to be mbp's), but I have tried doing some similar solutions (i.e. changing the sleepmode of my macbook) but no luck.

Here is the issue(s):

Once asleep and enters hibernation, the laptop will not start up. Even after I hit the space bar. The "sleeping light" stops going on and off and just sticks on and the screen stays un-lit. I am then forced to shut it off, so I will hold the power button down until I hear the hard drive shut down and then start it back up.

Then one of two things happen; either it starts up nicely or it starts up and remains with no display and Im forced to hard restart again. I have found that if my external HD is plugged into the USB port upon start up it will get stuck in start up; it will keep starting up the main hard-drive and nothing happens so I have to hard shut off and unplug the external and then start again.

To avoid this problem... I have been trying to keep music going on my machine to avoid hibernation, but night times kinda suck. Regardless, I just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas before I take it in :).

Thanks and I look forward to some input,

MacMosher

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I have had the same question/problem for about 3 months, and have gotten no responses ever. No one else seems to have the problem. My monitor turns on in about 1 to 3 minutes after asleep. The "black out" for me occurs usually when a DVD is in the drive.

3. csa9 macrumors newbie

4. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

ok, had a look at that. I guess its kinda a work around for the issue, although I was hoping more for a solution if I could. I would still like my laptop to sleep, but waking up is also nice.

5. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Solution found:
    I don't know why this fixed the problem, but I replaced my battery (my roommate had one from his dead macbook) and it just decided that everything was good again. So if anyone has this similar issue and your battery really sucks, this might be the problem.

Mac

6. g-boac macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem; I don't know whether, or why this helped, but I used Disk Utility, did a "Verify Permissions", then "Repair Permissions", then rebooted the computer and reflashed the PRAM (hold down OPTION-P-R while computer is booting until you hear a second startup chime); everything now seems to work.

I've learned from Apple that more often than not, when something starts acting quirky without explanation, and a simple restart doesn't fix it, repairing permissions, or reflashing the PRAM, more often than not works to fix it.

good luck!
    Mark