Macbook - sleeping the computer with iTunes playing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cwncool, Feb 26, 2008.

1. cwncool macrumors newbie

Will the MacBook automatically go to sleep if songs in iTunes are playing? If not, is there a way to make it do this? I'd like to have it sleep while music in itunes is playing, so I can connect my computer to my stereo and fall asleep to music, but I don't want my computer running all night. Thanks!

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Either your computer is asleep or its not, there is no in between.

3. cwncool thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, I understand that. The music itself does not need to keep running or anything. I was just wondering if there is a way so when it is set to automatically fall asleep in say 15 minutes, it would still do that if a program, i.e. itunes, is running...

4. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I pretty sure (but not 100%) the Macintosh would go to sleep even if it's playing music. Just go to System Prefs>Energy Saver> and set it up so that the computer goes to sleep after it's inactive for X amount of minutes.

You can set it up to go to sleep after 1 minute and see if you get the results you want. If it works, just adjust the timing. If not, there are plenty of freeware and shareware apps that turn iTunes into an alarm clock. You can set them up to play music for X amount of minutes and then iTunes shuts off. Then have the same app wake the computer from sleep so that you wake up to music.

6. cwncool thread starter macrumors newbie