Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niemo810

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
My MacBook sleeps when the lid is closed, but it never goes into sleep mode when the lid is open. What could the problem be? I've disabled every login item, quit every program, unhooked every usb device, quit the spotlight process, reset the SMC, PRAM, and turned off bluetooth. I even enabled my guest account and logged out of my admin account to see if it would sleep with the default settings in the guest account. Nope. It just won't sleep! Any suggestions?

-Rob

KruseF1

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
How are you trying to put it to sleep? Are you clicking on the upper left apple and choosing sleep? That should do it, if not then double check your settings.

Kruse

niemo810

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
How are you trying to put it to sleep? Are you clicking on the upper left apple and choosing sleep? That should do it, if not then double check your settings.

I should have specified... It won't sleep on it's own. It sleeps when I choose sleep though the apple menu, or hit :apple:+option+eject....sometimes. Sometimes it stays asleep, and sometimes it wakes right back up.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
I have exactly the same problem and am at my wit's end trying to solve it! I have done everything, even taken it to be repaired, where they put in a new logic board. Nothing has helped!

For me, the issue mainly is that if I close the lid, or manually put it to sleep, Wire Tap Pro will not wake it. I have several radio shows scheduled to record, and Wire Tap works perfectly for that. But it has to be wake-able. I can leave the lid open and the screen sleeps just fine, but the light will not pulse, and I know it is not asleep, because I can hear the new mail sound while the screen is black. I have checked my preferences and all match my husband's MB, which DOES sleep with the lid open. I have shut down everything, even shut down the computer, restarted it and left it at the login screen. I have disconnected everything from it, have even taken it far enough away from the Airport so that I have no signal. The problem persists! I sure would love a resolution!

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I have exactly the same problem and am at my wit's end trying to solve it! I have done everything, even taken it to be repaired, where they put in a new logic board. Nothing has helped!

For me, the issue mainly is that if I close the lid, or manually put it to sleep, Wire Tap Pro will not wake it. I have several radio shows scheduled to record, and Wire Tap works perfectly for that. But it has to be wake-able. I can leave the lid open and the screen sleeps just fine, but the light will not pulse, and I know it is not asleep, because I can hear the new mail sound while the screen is black. I have checked my preferences and all match my husband's MB, which DOES sleep with the lid open. I have shut down everything, even shut down the computer, restarted it and left it at the login screen. I have disconnected everything from it, have even taken it far enough away from the Airport so that I have no signal. The problem persists! I sure would love a resolution!

If they are at the same time every day/week you can set up a schedule for your mac to wake (or even turn all the way on) to record the shows.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007

If they are at the same time every day/week you can set up a schedule for your mac to wake (or even turn all the way on) to record the shows.

niemo810

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the problem. It's not a bother for me until I want to use my battery power...

Anyway, I'm trying to narrow down the cause. What version of OS X are you running?

I'm running 10.5.2, and I don't remember the problem being there before Leopard. I upgraded to Leopard after 10.5.1 came out, but before 10.5.2.

Tiger slept fine, and as far as I can remember, 10.5.1 slept too. I think it might be an issue with the latest update... Hmph.

On a side note, I'm surprised how easy it was for you to get a new logic board. I'm on my fourth hard drive since August '07, and they supposedly just replaced it on the last failure.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the problem. It's not a bother for me until I want to use my battery power...

Anyway, I'm trying to narrow down the cause. What version of OS X are you running?

I'm running 10.5.2, and I don't remember the problem being there before Leopard. I upgraded to Leopard after 10.5.1 came out, but before 10.5.2.

Tiger slept fine, and as far as I can remember, 10.5.1 slept too. I think it might be an issue with the latest update... Hmph.

On a side note, I'm surprised how easy it was for you to get a new logic board. I'm on my fourth hard drive since August '07, and they supposedly just replaced it on the last failure.

Well, I'm on 10.5.2, and the problem has been persistent since at least the last version of 10.4. Maybe longer.

I could use the scheduled wake an sleep as the Jeremy mentioned, but that does not address the sleep issue. I really don't want my computer to be "awake" when I am not using it. I want to be able to use it as it should be able to be used -- to get up and walk away and it go to sleep on schedule. My husband has almost the same MB, and his sleeps fine with the lid open. Our settings are the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.