Macbook Sleeves, Covers, etc????

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dandrews018, Feb 23, 2009.

1. dandrews018 macrumors newbie

i just bought the newly updated white polycarbonate 13.3 macbook and i was wondering what type of case would protect it the best. ive seen a bunch on ebay that looked cheap like they would do more damge then they would prevent. i just dont want all kind of scratches on my new mac becuase its like my first child to me lol. any suggestions woul be awesome

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you want a nice zip-up sleeve, I'm a fan of my Incase neoprene sleeve.

They list for ~$35 at Apple stores, incase's website, or BestBuy.

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

+1 for the incase, the one for my MBA has a cool fleecy interior and feels like it would protect well.

4. mik34 macrumors member

Second Skin by Tucano

Got one at Fry's. Nice zip up case with keyboard mat thingy. Only thing is that the sleeve is felt on outside which could get messed up if you spilled on it. I really like mine, but haven't used anything else to compare.

5. dandrews018 thread starter macrumors newbie

i was thinking more like a hardcase or something tht would protect it when im using it ya know?

6. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

there are TONS of threads on cases, sleeves, etc

what makes your macbook so special that you need to start another thread on it?

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

I've used both the Tucano Second Skin and the Incase Neoprene Sleeve, and I have to say I'm a fan of the Incase. Mind you, they were purchased for a Unibody MacBook (so they fit a little bit loose since it's thinner than a Polycarbonate one), but I found that the Incase fits snugger than the Tucano. Also, I'm a big fan of the fleece interior of the Incase. On the other hand, the Tucano has a lip on the inside to help protect from accidental scratches from the zipper. I personally like the look and feel of the Incase over the Tucano so I will recommend it over the other.

As for hard cases, I don't believe it's necessary to have one if you have a good sleeve (depending on how careful you are while using your MB), but if you do go with one I suggest Incase. I've tried both the Speck and Incase hard cases for my MBP, and the Incase felt much more durable, less brittle and more appealing to the touch and eyes.

8. dandrews018 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks dude! youve got me leaning toward the incase now

9. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Best oneI've seen/used is the Waterfield Design sleeve from www.sfbags.com. Extremely well made, very padded and secure and customisable to your liking. Great product, great customer service, etc. Can't say enough nice about them!

10. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

x2 - the quality in their stuff over other brands is definitely noticable to me

11. EB66 macrumors 6502

12. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

yeah wasn't there one just like this thread that got plenty of responses maybe last week lol

13. rust.puppet macrumors regular

ill be getting the incase neoprene for my macbook so i can fit the macbook in it with the seethru satin :)

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I would have gone for the Incase sleeve if I could afford a 35 dollar product but I couldn't justify it at the moment. However, they had nice neoprene ones at Best Buy this week for around 20 that work just as well. I'm tempted to keep my MacBook in the Incase hardshell and then slip it inside of the sleeve.

15. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

ooh is it on sale this week? I'll check..

*edit* hmm website shows $35 for me =T

16. harry454 macrumors 6502

incase one I heard works beauties or if you want a case but not a case like a film, invisible shield

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I never said it was the Incase one - they have Targus ones on sale.

I should've been more specific. Sorry.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I recently got the new InCase for my MacBook; I don't know if it was redesigned or not, but now it's a snug fit for the unibody MacBook; There is a lip around the zipper tha protects the computer against the zipper and the inside is while, not black like the old ones.

They did sell the older one that didn't say "unibody" on the outside, so I'm assuming they redesigned or tweaked it.

---

@OP: You'll find that a hard-case will not offer protection when it comes to drops and stuff, only against the occasional bump and such. It adds unnecessary bulk and you lose the feel of the computer; a sleeve offers the same protection, while offers the convenience of no using it when you don't need to. A hard-case is build for constant removal.

19. winterymix macrumors newbie

Another vote for the incase sleeve. I bought a black one from Apple when I bought my Macbook. They are sleek, slim and do the job. The inside of them is made from endangered baby seal fur, which is why they are so expensive, and it protects wonderfully.

20. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I second the second skin case. :p I really like those.

21. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Big big fan of Timbuk2's laptop sleeves. My Incase doesn't hold a candle to the protection that my Timbuk2 sleeve has: Timbuk2

22. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Why don't you get your mom, nan, wife , girlfriend or someone who's good at sewing to make one up ?, would be individual and could give much much more protection with specific instruction on materials, you could even have carbon fibre sewn into the centre of whichever material you choose , now tha's protection !.

Neoprene isn't hard to find and tbh the 3mm neoprene that these things use isn't much protection, I do pot holing in a suit thicker than that and feel every bump.

Do the make your own thing and get an invisible shield to protect from scratches etc

That's what I'm doing, just thought I'd share.
    I'll post pics of it being done soon as the machine turns up.

23. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

It's called being a member of a Mac discussion forum. So if you don't feel like discussing sleeves for MacBooks, then move along. Your negativity isn't welcome here.

Bryan

24. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Awesome! Did you buy the sleeve from the Apple store?

Has anyone else received one lately?

Thanks,
    Bryan

25. MM07 macrumors 6502a

This is what I use. I bought the 13" sleeve, then I bought the 15" bag version. I fit one in the other for extra protection.