MacBook Slightly Uneven

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jasonmac31, Nov 30, 2008.

1. jasonmac31 macrumors newbie

My aluminum MacBook is slightly uneven. When placed on a table, the left bottom corner (where your left wrist is when looking at the screen) will hit the table like it is wobbling when I put my hands on the keyboard. It's not a huge deal since once my hands are on the keyboard the computer is steady, but it's just a little annoying.

I first I thought it was the battery/hard drive cover, but the cover isn't loose, so I'm not sure if that's it or not.

It's almost like the bottom left leg is a half mm to short. Anyone else have this problem? I live about 1.5 hours from an Apple store so I want to use that as my last resort. I'd hate to send the computer in for such a small problem but with the price of these things, I just might!

Thanks!

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Are you sure it's not just the table being uneven? If you can prove that it is not (not that I'm calling you a liar) even to the Apple Store concierge, they will replace it for you.

3. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

That would drive me crazy! I can't even sit at a table that's unbalanced like that for too long before I gotta get up, find some paper, and stuff it under a table leg to keep it from wobbling.

Definitely not normal. Think of it this way though. You can either spend 3 hours driving to the store and back to exchange it for one that doesn't have that problem, or you can spend the next few years constantly having a wobbly machine on your desk.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

for the money you paid, it BETTER be flawless. take it back, completely unacceptable flaw.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Make sure you play around with the battery cover and try snapping it in at a couple of different alignments with the case.
    The same thing happened to me and it ended up being just the cover not snapping in completely.
    If not, I would take it back to the store.

6. jasonmac31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comments.

It's definitely not the tables(s), it's like the computer is slightly bowed. I did remove the battery cover a couple times to try and place it just perfectly but still the same problem.

I think I will send it back. I bought it online, so I guess I can't return it to an Apple store? It's a 2.4 with 4 gigs of ram.

If I send it in, will they give me a new computer or will it be a refurbished one?

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you got a BTO (built to order), they can't replace it.

8. jasonmac31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean they can't replace it in store, or they can't replace it at all even if I send it to Apple?

9. kingtj macrumors 68020

He means, "in store" ....

When you order a custom configuration of any Apple system, you have to send it back to Apple directly for replacement. (Makes sense, because no stores are going to stock the same configuration you've got.)

My guess is, the aluminum casing on your Macbook got very slightly bent/warped. I'd send it back too, considering it's brand new.

10. thetinman macrumors member

thetinman

Hi i had the same problem, it was that the screen wasn't flush with the rest of the laptop, i noticed it when i had it closed and felt around the edge. I took mine back! and upgraded to a 2.4!