Macbook slow after loading NEF files

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chris.robison, Sep 26, 2010.

1. chris.robison macrumors regular

Hello,

My wife's 2006ish Macbook is running very very slow. She recently had some pictures taken and saved the pictures on her MB. There was a 6.5gb folder that unarchived to over 7gb. The folder contained a lot of files, all were NEF (Nikon raw). The unarchiving was brutal on her computer. She attempted several times and an hour or so later, her computer would just turn off. I ended up unarchiving them on my MBP then transferring to her.

Once we got the unarchived files on her MB, her computer had a hard time viewing the pictures. We imported them to iPhoto so she could view all at once more easily and that was the end.

Her computer now chugs along very slowly. Everything is slow. Startup now takes 5 minutes or so, then takes several minutes to load the Desktop. Opening any app takes a while too, then forget about using the app. A simple Safari page request turns back quite a while later (the internet is fine).

Things I tried:
    NEF files are now removed - still slow
    Ran Disk Utility - returned fine
    Ran Onyx - says disk needs repair
    Disk Utility again - repairs some things on disk, things get slightly quicker
    Ran Onyx again - finished this time
    Onyx verifies SMART status at startup and says its fine

Specs:
    2 GB Ram
    2 GHz Intel
    250 GB HD replaced (new within a year)

So, any thoughts or suggestions? I do have Time Machine backups so I could restore back to before the pictures, but I am worried it could still happen. I wonder if its something else or a coincidence since the pics are gone and still happening. It also seems weird to have the whole computer get sluggish.

TIA

2. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

If you have time machine backups try a clean install and restore from a backup prior to when you tried loading the NEF files.

3. chris.robison thread starter macrumors regular

I think I am about to do this. Was just hoping for some insight or other thoughts.

Its still very weird to me that the NEF files could bomb the entire OS so badly. Activity Monitor shows all is well. So weird. Grr.