Macbook slow after Time Machine restore

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RTD, Jan 4, 2011.

1. RTD macrumors newbie

Hi,

a few days ago I had to use Time Machine to patch up my Macbook Pro. For some reason the laptop froze at a blue screen when starting.

I fixed this by using Time Machine and went back to my backup of december the thirth. Everything went smootly and works perfectly! But the laptop is much slower then before. At first I thought it was because the system needed some time to set everything straight again, but the performance arn't improving. I'm using a lot of music programm's. (Pro Tools 8, Logic 8) I can clearly see that my laptop can take less then it did before.

Same thing for a game. The game doesn't run that smooth now on the same settings.

Anyone knows what is going on, or can help me?

My english ain't very good, I hope you can all understand what the problem is.

Greetz,
    Rick

2. smirk, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

It is kind of guesswork at this point because we don't have any logs or much information to go on, but there are some things that are always a good idea to do when your computer crashes like that.

You will want to check the disk for corruption. Reboot your Mac and immediately hold down the Command key and the S key until the black and white text appears. When the cursor appears, type:

fsck -f

and let that run for awhile. If it finds and fixes any problems, type the same thing ("fsck -f") again and keep doing that until no more problems are found. Then, type "reboot" and hit enter to reboot the computer.

Some people also like to run the Disk Utility application in your /Applications/Utilities folder and Repair Permissions, but I don't know that that really does much.

It may be helpful to run the Console application in /Applications/Utilities and look for any odd error messages that seem like they could be the cause of a slowdown.

Good luck, let us know what happens and we will take it from there.

3. RTD thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I tried your way with the white text. It reported that everything was OK the first time. I already tried to Repair Permissions with the Install DVD. It did show up some things that where not okay, but after doing it repeatedly said it was fixed but with every scan it revealed the same files that were not right. So I guess It isn't fixed at all...

I already looked around on the internet and found a app called OnyX. It is some kind of all around tool to fix several things on the mac, but I don't know how it works and a little bit scared to delete something I wasn't suppose to delete. Or maybe something I didn't want to delete at all! Is this tool usefull?

I opened the 'Console' program from the Utilities folder, but I don't have a clue what to read from it or how to use it!

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Things may have changed, but in the past you were not supposed to repair disk permissions when booting from the installation disc. Why don't you boot up from your hard drive, run Disk Utility, and repair permissions from there. It is normal for the same few things to pop up, for some reason.

Onyx deletes OS X cache files with the intent that the OS will then rebuild them with current data. I will leave it to others to comment on if this is a good thing to run or not.

If you happen to own Disk Warrior, you may want to run that to verify that the directory structure on your disk is good. I know I keep focusing on disk-related issues but I don't know what else to try, since all we know is that your computer crashed for some reason. Computers don't usually crash for no reason. It could be the hard drive, it could be bad memory, I guess it could be a file in the OS that became corrupt.

As far as the Console goes, sometimes you will see error messages that give a hint as to what's wrong. Anything related to your hard drive would be bad.

Hopefully someone else will suggest something to try.

5. spidey3 macrumors regular

I hate to be a doomsayer, but your original "laptop froze at a blue screen" condition, the fact that restoring from time machine allowed you to boot, and the current slowness, taken together cause me to lean toward thinking this is a hardware problem -- most likely with your disk drive.

Are there any disk [or other hardware] related errors in your /var/log/system.log? You should be able to see this in the Console app...

Spidey!!!

6. RTD thread starter macrumors newbie

at smirk:
    I also tried to repair on the hard disc. Nothing different happened.

I will leave OnyX for what it is for now until I know some more about it.

at both of you:

Thanks both for responding and trying to help me out.
    Now I'm thinking back at the day things went wrong I think I know what the problem 'could' be.

I had boot camp installed (windows 7) and updated my video driver there. At that point the games I played at windows ran much smoother. On the other hand, at that point my mac side wouldn't start up and stayed on the blue screen. Maybe there still is something wrong with my video driver/card on the mac side and that is the reason games on the mac side are running slow/bad. And maybe it also felt like all the other programs are running slower, because the games aren't running smooth. After the Time Machine backup I immediately removed the boot camp partition from my laptop. Is there any way to check if it is my video driver??? I'm just suggesting this and hoping it isn't the hardware. This is what I think because boot camp ran without any problems for 2 more days when the mac stayed at the blue startup screen.

7. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Updating drivers in Windows would not affect anything in Mac OS. I think it is more likely that something went wrong when Bootcamp repartitioned your drive. How did you remove the Bootcamp partition, is that an option in the Bootcamp installer?

I don't have a suggestion for verifying that the partitions are in fact valid, but perhaps someone else does.

Edit: I'm unclear on the chain of events here. Did you install Bootcamp on that day or was Bootcamp already installed for a while and everything was working fine on the Mac OS side until you updated your driver in Windows? But to repeat: doing anything on the Windows side would have no bearing on the Mac side -- anything that suggests that is merely a coincidence.

8. RTD, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

RTD thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess it is a coincidence then...

Chain of events:
    1. I installed boot camp for over a year ago on my laptop. I never had any kind of problems with it.

2. The day my mac side stopped working, I updated the video driver on my windows side.

3. I restored the laptop with a Time Machine backup.

4. After the restore I removed boot camp with the boot camp program. It is a quick and easy way to remove windows.

5. I start noticing my mac was a bit slower. I had to lower all graphical things on my games.

6. Went to this forum.

I hope my last message is much clearer now.