Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danmunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Hello,

I just got a Macbook and the slow screen refresh rate is killing me. I have a MBP and have used it for years with no problems. I looked around and found a the utility switchresxcontrol which is supposed to change the refresh rate, but doesn't appear to help me. Is there anyway I can increase the refresh rate?

Thanks.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
You don't change the "refresh rate" on LCDs like you do CRTs. I'm guessing you're actually talking about the response time of the display, which may be lower than that of the MBP (I don't see specs on Apple's site to compare).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Firstly, all laptop LCDs have slow response times. One may be faster than another, but they're mostly around 2X ms (eg: 25 ms, 20 ms).

And just so you know, laptop LCDs also have poor colour because none of them are made to display more than several hundred thousand colours. They just interpolate to "millions of colours".

If you want to game, get a cheap external LCD. The cheapest LCDs have the fast, 2 ms or 4 ms response times, so it's not a huge expense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.