Macbook slow to start and shut down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AcesHigh87, Oct 11, 2010.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I've had my 13" macbook (running SL) for almost 2 years now (I believe) but recently it has started to act rather oddly.

On startup it used to take probably 20 seconds or so while now it can take upwards of 3 minutes just to get to the desktop. I have added a few newer programs on startup but this time is just from the apple screen to the desktop, not counting the time for the startup items.

Also, the more annoying issue, when shutting down my macbook will sit at just the desktop (no icons) for several seconds before going to a blank screen for sometimes several minutes. Sometimes the circular loading thing (the one that is used when starting up) appears and when it does I'm forced to do a manual shutdown (holding the power button) because it refuses to shut down.

My battery has also been dying easier and taking longer to charge so could it have something to do with the battery?

Thanks for anything you come up with.

2. windels macrumors regular

windels

you could use 'disk utility' and check if your bootdrive is still okay

3. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

What do you mean by bootdrive and how would I go about doing that?

4. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I verified my Macintosh HD and it said it was all fine, if that's what you meant by bootdrive. I've also cleared out some clutter as far as start-up items but no help to be had there, unless I missed one that was doing it.

5. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I'm still having this issue. Does anyone have an idea?