Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Hi there,

Some weeks ago I bought a new MacBook Air '13 (Early 2014)

I noticed it isn't as fast as it was my old MacBook Air (2012), I sold it a while ago but I still remember that this Air was everything but fast.

I don't get why my new MacBook isn't whippy..

I use it only for Safari, I see video that freezes/lag. You feel is not very fast. Even when I press cmd+q to quit Safari I get a delay, it's not instant as it was my old MacBook.

What do you think is it? Maybe Yosemite need an update?
I already did repair permissions but nothing changed.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Nope, computer should be super quick. Did you take those screen shots while it was being slow?

Is it only slow when using Safari? Try Chrome?

Only with Safari, not a very big deal, but still I remember a different story with my MacBook.

On that tips list, they suggest to play ClickToFlash and to use HTML 5 for YouTube Videos. I did install that plugin for Safari and also using HTML 5 now. Is it better? Also do you suggest me to delete Flash? From what I understand Flash is so bad..

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Only with Safari, not a very big deal, but still I remember a different story with my MacBook.

On that tips list, they suggest to play ClickToFlash and to use HTML 5 for YouTube Videos. I did install that plugin for Safari and also using HTML 5 now. Is it better? Also do you suggest me to delete Flash? From what I understand Flash is so bad..

Flash is terrible, but many web sites require it to do certain things like watch streaming video. I wouldn't delete it.

Safari should be fast with or without Flash. No idea what could be causing the slowdowns your seeing but I would still recommend trying Chrome.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Flash is terrible, but many web sites require it to do certain things like watch streaming video. I wouldn't delete it.

Safari should be fast with or without Flash. No idea what could be causing the slowdowns your seeing but I would still recommend trying Chrome.

Do you suggest me to use HTML 5 over flash when possible?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
if your going to reset the PRAM, to see if it helps, you should also reset the SMC.
resetting PRAM does not reset SMC. SMC mostly has to do with fan speeds, power lights, charging lights, sleep and wake issues.

I've seen a lot of geniuses help people with their macs and they always reset the PRAM in the store but
I've never seen a genius reset the SMC

maybe its because PRAM is something that came with the old POWERMAC and earlier?? and SMC was introduced in intel macs?? heh

intel macs have PRAM and SMC

apple says that resetting the SMC may help with :

System performance
The computer is running unusually slowly although it is not experiencing abnormally high CPU utilization.
Application icons may "bounce" in the Dock for an extended amount of time when launched.
Applications may not function correctly or may stop responding after being opened.

guess / speculation section
---

i went to the genius. and asked them about our mac book pro 2011. he checked it, and he did the speech about rebooting it once in a while and not having too many windows open. he told us that Yosemite uses more ram then mavericks.
and he recommended us to get 8 gigs of ram.

it looks like to me, and i read it somewhere, that by default Yosemite likes to take all available ram and mark it as used, to make the system snappier.

your experience with the macbook air could just be because you have Yosemite running on a 4 gig machine

i think the genius was a little wrong. Yosemite just likes to use a lot of ram as a cache. and its the wired ram that can't be touched. what the genius said was with one finder window open the mac was still using swap space and was using like 3.8 gigs of 4 or something like that. and the memory was being compressed.

another thing the genius should of said that he didn't is that as long as the graphic on the bottom that shows memory pressure is low and it is green then your ram is fine and you don't need more ram

since the ram was upgradable in my brother's macbook pro , i just went ahead and bought 8 gigs anyway

feedback about last visit @ apple store section
=====
it kind of bums me that apple has IOS diagnostics that analyzes your crash logs and console logs, but when i asked the genius about it he said they have nothing for checking your mac. i know they have special mac diagnostics in the store, but when i told them i already ran apple hardware test, they said their special apple store hardware test did nothing more then what we already tried.

i asked them if they had anything to read or analyze the console logs they said no.

they didn't even have anything in store to check the hard disk.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
worked for me, when everything is laggy on my MBPr. so i assume that it will help.
Resetting NVRAM doesn't affect performance. It's a common misconception held by many who don't understand what is stored in NVRAM, which includes your designated startup disk, display resolution, speaker volume, and other information.
I've seen a lot of geniuses help people with their macs and they always reset the PRAM in the store but
I've never seen a genius reset the SMC

maybe its because PRAM is something that came with the old POWERMAC and earlier?? and SMC was introduced in intel macs?? heh

intel macs have PRAM and SMC
To be accurate, PRAM applies to non-Intel Macs. On Intel-based Macs, it's NVRAM. The non-Intel version of the SMC was the SMU.

You have to remember that "Genius" is only their job title, and not an indication of their knowledge or experience. They are frequently wrong, as the rest of you post proves.

it looks like to me, and i read it somewhere, that by default Yosemite likes to take all available ram and mark it as used, to make the system snappier.
OS X will manage all of the memory available, which didn't start with Yosemite. OS X makes memory available to apps on an as-needed basis. As long as the memory pressure gauge in Activity Monitor is green, you have sufficient memory. You don't need 8 GB of memory to run Yosemite. How much RAM you need is based on your typical workload, not on which operating system version you're running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.