MacBook slowed dramatically after SL 10.8.2 update

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rickjames8, Feb 11, 2013.

1. rickjames8 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm posting this for my wife who owns a MacBook (2.26ghz Intel Core 2 Duo). Recently she upgraded her OS from Lion (she thinks it was Lion 10.6?, but not completely sure) to Snow Lepoard 10.8.2. She did the upgrade through the Apple website and paid for it, so it's a good copy.

However, now the entire laptop is crawling. The internet is slow, the programs are slow, startup and shutdown are slow. Pretty much to the point of being un-useable. This effect came on gradually over the past 2 weeks since the install.

I've tried to search for suggestions, but I'm really not a mac guy (more of a Linux guy). Some threads told me to check "activity monitor" for running processes, but she doesn't know where to look for it, and neither do I. :) I also found a thread which says that Snow Lepoard can slow down if the HD is too full (she was at 90%) so we've deleted some programs and are now down to 85% with no change.

My questions are:
    Can she revert to the earlier version she had (forfieting the fee for the upgrade is fine)?
    If so, how?
    What is a good diagnostic tool included with SL (keeping in mind we're not able to download or install anything with the current performance)?
    Anything else you'd recommend?

Thanks,
    -Rick

2. BeeJee macrumors 6502

10.6 is Snow Leopard and 10.8 would be Mountain Lion. 10.7 is "Regular" Lion. If she did in fact download Mountain Lion she is already at a disadvantage being on an older system. How much RAM does the machine have? Also I would go to disk utility and verify disk (your HDD), this has been known to speed up systems after an update. However reset the PRAM and SMC first. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4285862?start=0&tstart=0

3. rickjames8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

BeeJee,

Thanks for clearing that up. The cats confuse us.

Is there a way to revert easily to the old 10.6?

-Rick