Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

originalcliche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Hey everyone

So I got my first mac which is my white 2.2 ghz macbook and im loving every day we've had together.. lol...

But ive noticed lately , by lately i mean this past few weeks that every time I'm running Logic 8 and try to run anotehr program, mainly safari, everything starts to crawl. So i figured maybe i had to many plug ins or logic 8 was taking up too much ram, but then i started to notice if i am running any two programs at once its like im using a pc with a 600 mhz processor in 2000 with dial up internet. Thats how slow it gets. Before these past two weeks I could usually run like 5-6 programs at once and not have any speed issues. I have 2 GBs of ram, and I will upgrade to 4 but I think its kind of weird that it just started happening. I took a look at the activity monitor and theres over 1 GB of ram left to be used and I have repaired disk permissions and nothing. Now i am out of ideas on how to possibly fix this speed problem.

Any one have any suggestions? Thanks in advance guys

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Running disk warrior will help if your slowdown is caused by losing track of where files are. In either case, it's a good thing to have in your toolbox.

mac2mac

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
UK
How much cpu is being used ?
Use activity monitor to see how much cpu is being used when running these apps.

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Also go to Applications--Utilities--Disk Utility--click on your hard drive in the DU window and then click Repair Permissions. That may solve the problem.

Also, start dumping your 3rd-party software, esp. stuff like Limewire or anything that does torrrents. This can wreak havoc on a system.

May also want to check if you have a printer "open" -- it will show up as an extra icon in your dock. If open, quit the printer. This can also cause some issues if the printer app is searching for a wireless printer or a printer that isn't hooked up at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.