Macbook slowing down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mg24, Nov 4, 2011.

1. mg24 macrumors newbie

I've barely had my Macbook Pro for about 4 months and recently it has been slowing down. Ive down all the updates and i have no virus. Can anyone help? I've noticed it the most while i watch video because I'm able to hear it but sometimes the video pauses also when i write, it freezes and then it will continue to type what i was previously writing.. help please!!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Of course you don't have a virus.

You might have a bad hard drive, or you might have a background process chewing up processor time.

3. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

What kind of MBP do you have? What are you running?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.