Macbook slows down... slows down... until reboot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by navaira, Apr 25, 2017.

1. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Hi all,

rMB m5/512, Sierra 10.12.4.

I'm using Chrome as my primary browser and all is good and well. Until I shut the lid and let the Macbook fall asleep a few times. And then it just gets slower and slower. Has anybody else encountered this? Quitting Chrome doesn't help. Quitting ALL apps doesn't help. Only restart does anything.

I blame Sierra, because I don't really think it's gone past beta stage yet, but I'm not sure, hence me posting this here. I'd go back to El Cap but then I'd lose my backups, also I don't know if it's possible to install El Capitan and then restore all data and documents from a Sierra backup...

Thanks for all/any replies!

2. teksurv macrumors regular

teksurv

I saw this behavior for the first time last week on my M3 model. Like you, I use the Chrome browser and a restart fixed the lag.

3. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

Did you update to 10.12.4 recently? Perhaps it's Chrome's fault. A lot of problems of the world are Chrome's fault, I'd use something else if bookmark sync wasn't so handy.

4. teksurv macrumors regular

teksurv

Yep on 10.12.4. I like Chrome far more than Safari, and I use it on many platforms, including my Android phone :)

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Could help to run your Activity Monitor. Leave that open. Compare that app from soon after a restart, to some time later when you notice your system is slowing down. You can sort the lists by memory usage, or % CPU. It may help you decide if some app (such as Chrome) is the issue that is slowing your system - or something else...

6. komatsu macrumors 6502

+1

In most cases like this, Activity Monitor should be able to indicate which process is using up most CPU or memory.

7. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

That's a very good idea and I'm dumb for not thinking about it! I'll try doing screenshots every two hours or so.

8. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

Well, this is now with my Macbook being all slow, so I guess Chrome is the culprit... I'm going to try Canary again.
    Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.49.16.png

9. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

I believe Chrome was the culprit. Canary works beautifully, no lags or any other problems. Thanks, Google. :p If Canary starts being problematic I'll update here, but for now I'm happy.