Macbook slows down... slows down... until reboot

navaira

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hi all,

rMB m5/512, Sierra 10.12.4.

I'm using Chrome as my primary browser and all is good and well. Until I shut the lid and let the Macbook fall asleep a few times. And then it just gets slower and slower. Has anybody else encountered this? Quitting Chrome doesn't help. Quitting ALL apps doesn't help. Only restart does anything.

I blame Sierra, because I don't really think it's gone past beta stage yet, but I'm not sure, hence me posting this here. I'd go back to El Cap but then I'd lose my backups, also I don't know if it's possible to install El Capitan and then restore all data and documents from a Sierra backup...

Thanks for all/any replies!

teksurv

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
San Diego, CA
I saw this behavior for the first time last week on my M3 model. Like you, I use the Chrome browser and a restart fixed the lag.

navaira

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I saw this behavior for the first time last week on my M3 model. Like you, I use the Chrome browser and a restart fixed the lag.
Did you update to 10.12.4 recently? Perhaps it's Chrome's fault. A lot of problems of the world are Chrome's fault, I'd use something else if bookmark sync wasn't so handy.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Could help to run your Activity Monitor. Leave that open. Compare that app from soon after a restart, to some time later when you notice your system is slowing down. You can sort the lists by memory usage, or % CPU. It may help you decide if some app (such as Chrome) is the issue that is slowing your system - or something else...

komatsu

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2010
Could help to run your Activity Monitor. Leave that open. Compare that app from soon after a restart, to some time later when you notice your system is slowing down. You can sort the lists by memory usage, or % CPU. It may help you decide if some app (such as Chrome) is the issue that is slowing your system - or something else...
+1

In most cases like this, Activity Monitor should be able to indicate which process is using up most CPU or memory.

navaira

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I believe Chrome was the culprit. Canary works beautifully, no lags or any other problems. Thanks, Google. :p If Canary starts being problematic I'll update here, but for now I'm happy.