MacBook - Snow Leopard installation advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eightmedia, Aug 3, 2010.

1. eightmedia macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a used MacBook which had (as far as I remember) OS X 10.4 installed. The original owner had no disks when selling.

I have the disks from my new iMac so decided to format the HDD on the MacBook and try install using these, however I have got the error: Cannot install Mac OS X on this computer.

I have read that this could be as a result of using the disks which are for the iMac and not the MacBook.

If I were to buy a Snow Leopard disk from the apple store would this work instead?

Do I have any other options?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Cpup macrumors member

You don't have any other option except pirating it, which is illegal. Go to the apple store and you can get it as an update for about 50 bucks. ;)

Cpup:apple:

3. eightmedia thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't think so - £25 for an upgrade disk in the UK, just wasn't sure if that would actually work seeing there is no OS on the MacBook at all now.

Thanks for your help.

4. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Yep, just get the Apple upgrade (it's $29 in the states) and install it. I just did it on Saturday and worked like a charm. When you go to Apple they will say it won't work bcs they want you to puraches the box set which is about $160. Just buy the upgrade and you should be fine.