Macbook software or hardware issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yum114, Jan 17, 2015.

1. yum114 macrumors member

So, I decided to replace the keyboard on my macbook air.
    That worked out well, except for the backlight being missaligned, but oh well...
    Anyway, when I got back on the computer, the wifi that I normally uses, doesn't work for me.
    it says wifi is connected to wireless and has the ip address
    2601:7:2581:ac..:1240:f3..:fe89:71ae

the "." are numbers/letters that I've just taken out.
    Normally, it would show as a normal IP address, but at this moment, it shows in mac address format.
    When I log into another wifi point from my neighborhood, it works just fine though and shows a normal IP.
    Other laptops/computers on my wifi network connect and work fine though.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is an IPv6 IP address and completely normal.

3. yum114 thread starter macrumors member

Odd. It's never before shown IPv6 address there. It's qlways shown IPv4.
    Now that I'm having issues, it keeps showing this one. I think I may have messed up the wifi antenna though as when I'm close to the router, it'll show the IPv4 when I log onto it and the Internet will work. I also realized that although other connections in my neighborhood are working, they work MUCH slower than normal. Probably an antenna issue smh.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

That's pretty normal for wireless.
    When you try to connect to other neighborhood connections, they will often be further from you, correct?
    You can generally assume that more distance = slower connection speed.

Do you connect to a wireless router that belongs to you - or to someone else?
    Maybe that other user has upgraded to a newer router or modem that passes IPv6, where before it was older gear that did not make that available?