Macbook software update got stuck

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by silverFox505, Apr 23, 2011.

1. silverFox505 macrumors newbie

I have a 4 year old white Macbook with 2 Gb of ram running Snow Leopard that I just did the most recent automatic software update from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 along with other updates for iTune and my printer, etc.

It reached the point where it says "Registering updated components..." and it got stuck - no more progress bar movement for 20 minutes. I powered off the machine holding down the on/off button. It rebooted ok and the applications work fine, but when i shut in down it got stuck again. Again I had to power it off by holding down the on/off button. It started up fine afterwards.

Something obviously is no longer right, but I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions? (Yes I have a current backup of all files before the software update)

2. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

The backups, are they time machine or just normal back ups of individual files?

If they are time machine, try doing a restore. If its just individual files, try doing a clean install from your Snow Leopard disk and then download the Combo update from apples website and then put your files back

3. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

You may want to try this quick terminal command bundle:

• Open Terminal (under Applications, Utilities)
    • Type “sudo su” (without quotes)
    • Type your password (you must have admin account)
    • Type “sysctl kern.maxfiles” (this will show you the max open files allowed currently)
    • Type “sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=####” replacing #### with a number much larger than your current maxfiles setting. For example, if your maxfiles is currently 12000 change it to 24000 or maybe 30000.

4. iLucas macrumors 6502

You can also try moving the software updates to the trash and just redownloading it.