Macbook Sound Issue!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fluxy3, Mar 9, 2009.

1. fluxy3 macrumors newbie

Hello, any help with this we be greatly appreciated!
    I have a macbook and a Samsung 1080p flat screen I would like to connect both Video/Sound too.
    I purchased Apples VGA cable along with a HDMI cable. The video output works great, no complaints with the video. The issue that I have ran into is sound, I would like to watch videos or listen to music on my Samsung. So here's where I am at currently. I purchased a Griffin Auxiliary cable w/male connectors. I plugged the cable into the both macbook auxiliary ports (1 at a time) and the Samsung auxiliary port. I was never able to get any sound out of the TV.
    Can this be done with the hardware I currently have? If not, what would I need to fix or purchase that would fix the sound issue? If you need more information please let me know.

Adam

2. VladM macrumors regular

Which input on the TV did you use to watch/listen? The audio inputs on most TVs are tied to composite video signal, so if, for eg, you selected HDMI input, you would hear no sound - it is looking for sound on HDMI, and not RCA inputs.

3. fluxy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

The TV is on 1 of the 2 HDMI inputs. Video works but no sound.
    I have a PS3 that is connected to my Samsung through 1 of the 2 HDMI ports and I have both video & sound.
    Do I need to change a setting on my Macbook and or TV to get both sound and video using just the HDMI cable?
    Is there another solution that works using a Mini VGA to HDMI cable?

4. VladM macrumors regular

Precisely. Your PS3 delivers both sound and video on HDMI. When you plug your laptop and set the TV to the HDMI input, it ignores the RCA sound inputs.

My suggestion is to use your amp to plug in the sound cable. TV speakers are crap anyway.