Macbook Sound Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blueteeth, Sep 4, 2009.

1. blueteeth macrumors newbie

Hi all:

I'm running Snow Leopard on my Macbook Unibody late 2008 model. Recently, it had a sound problem which I'm not able to fix.

I plugged my earphone into the macbook earlier today and listened to some music, after I unplug the earphone, the volume setting button on the toolbar turned grey, I cannot adjust volume by dragging the ball or clicking F11/F12. I checked the sound setting under system preferences, there's only one option for output, which is "digital out"; under settings, it says: the selected device has no output controls.

I've tried restarting the macbook for a couple of times, it didn't work. So right now, I can only get sound from earphone, but not from the macbook speakers.

Help me please!!!:(:(

2. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Is there a red light on inside the earphone hole? If so, you may have a problem. My computer did that and it needed repair. Warranty covered it. I remember a thread or two where others had similar problems. Search for "red light headphone".

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Many have had success in 2 methods other than taking it in:

Because there is a stuck switch inside the audio port (aka the red light) -

1) Plug in and remove a jack several times until the light goes out

2) Use a toothpick or similar device to carefully find and turn off the switch.

As posted, an alternative would be to take the machine in under warranty/AppleCare. -GDF