MacBook Sound Quality via Headphones

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pinoyplaya, Mar 28, 2009.

1. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

All I can say is PERFECT! Especially with the Bose Headphones :)

I have the BOSE Companion 5 Speakers connected to my Gaming PC and damn, the sound quality I get with the MacBook with my Bose headphones is amazing. The sound is surprisingly loud and 50% volume too.

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Congrats. I actually almost bought a Bose speaker system today for my MacBook. When switching between the display models the Bose are just an unbelievable difference in sound quality. I definitely plan on purchasing a set in the near future.

EDIT: Misread your post... Your talking about headphones correct? I was talking about the "speaker systems" or whatever you would call them..

3. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

Yea. Ive read a lot of reviews about Bose and most of them are very bad in spec wise. A lot of people seem to target BOSE's specs and what not even though it sounds amazing. Bose Speaker system specs may not look very good compared to other name brands but its sound quality is simply amazing.

I love my Bose Companion 5 speaker system and my Bose Headphones. I thought it was very much well worth the investment. Just like the MacBook. Its spec may not be good but its quality is perfect!

Edit: I have the Bose Companion 5 and Bose Headphones :) I have a $500.00 Shure Earphones as well.

4. nojustice macrumors newbie

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Ugh...Bose...haha

They do have a "warm" almost "pleasing" sound, but it's all muddled to me. The bass is never punchy, it's a flowing, lazy, muddy bass. They pump the heck out of the mid range because that's what you hear the most of.

I'll take Logitech/Klipsch for speakers any day over Bose for a computer system.

You know what they say "No Highs, No Lows, Must be Bose!"

That's just a full size headphone jack, meant to be for DJ output and whatnot. So long as your jack converter isn't made of cheap slug steel, it shouldn't affect the sound much.

6. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

See... these are the kind of people I am talking about whenever I did my research on Bose, I found a few people like the person above.

Though, I find the sound quality to be amazing. Better than any other headphones and speaker system available for equivalent price.

It just depends on the user I guess. Its a matter of preference. I am very satisfied with Bose unlike other people. Im sure there are other people out there that have used and owned Bose products and are simply amazed with it.

Edit: Just like people who are into car audios. They put too much bass that it ruins the music. Whats the point?

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Don't even get me started on some of the Bose equipped cars...oh man =\

Yes though, excessive bass ruins music like nothing else.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...they are your headphones and they make YOU happy, that's what counts!

"F" everyone else's thoughts if you are happy:D

I have 5 pairs of headphones that I use depending on my "mood" and the music I'm listening to...

1. JVC HA-FA300 in ear bimetal's
    2. Bose in ear buds
    3. Panasonic RPHJE300 in ear buds
    4. Sony in ear active noise canceling ear buds
    5. Panasonic over the ear active noise canceling headphones

It depends on the listening environment I'm going to be in as to what I carry with me and use on any given situation (and music I load up) that day...

At home, I have Bose LS-25 and LS-28 in my living and bedrooms and Onkyo/klipsh in my rec-room... just depends on the environment and A/V sources...

Cars - clean 500 watt RMS power pumping to carbon/kevlar cones and small (8 - 10 inch) subs with dual voice coils = clarity over rattling/vibrating my trunk lid...

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I use headphones a lot on my MB, mostly when I game.

Using some Sennheiser PX-100, cheap pair but sound quality is amazing.

10. Terdinus Asus macrumors member

You're not hearing what the music sounds like with Bose. End of story.

If you like the sound, kudos to you, but it [the Bose sound] is one of the farthest most colorized sound you can get from the original mix of the recording engineer.

Real headphones can't be properly driven out of the MacBook jack.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For the best sound I would recommend getting a DAC and amp for you headphones and then run a optical cable instead of standard stereo.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've compared my AD700, K701, HD555, and other phones from my MB's output and amped, and the MB sounded great to me. The K701 was slightly harder to drive when unamped, and I eventually sold it because I preferred the AD700, but overall, the MB's jack is the best I've heard from a laptop, and I've owned about eight in the last few years.

13. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

Actually.. Ive compared the sound of my music between the devices I've owned which are Bose Headphones, Bose Companion 5, Logitech Z5500, Spherex XBOX 5.1 System, and Shure SE530 Earphones.

I like the results I get from the Bose Headphones and Companion 5 speaker system compared to those I've owned.

If Bose doesn't give me the true sound, then be it because the music sounds better that way to me.

Edit: I do have to say that the Bose Home Theater System are terrible but not their headphones and computer speaker system.

14. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I own the Bose On-Ear headphones and they are amazing. I've owned the Sennheiser 280 Pro, Apple In-Ears, and JBL 410's and these by far sound the best to me.

I traded in my Bose Companion 3's in favour of the Logitech Z-5500's and haven't looked back on that either. Guess it really depends on what sounds best to the end user. I think it's extremely ignorant for you to tell ME what sounds good to ME.

15. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I haven't really used any Bose hardware as I have always found the price more than a little preventative.

I tend generally to go for mid-range Sennheiser headphones and earphones. For example if I am on the T&W Metro I'll use my set of Sennheiser earphones (the ones that sit in your ear not pushed in with the rubber thingies) and enjoy crisp and clear sound with adequate bass.

When I'm using my MacBook however I have a set of Sennheiser 201 over-ear headphones that are, by far, the best £20 I have ever spent*. Their speaker system combined with the powerful audio drivers built in to the MacBook (and the gold contacts for that extra oomph of superiority and clarity) make listening to music absolutely fantastic. I'm a heavy metal kind of guy and anything from Amon Amarth to Zonaria sounds as good, if not better, through my cans as it does through my father's coveted £300 (in 1979) stereo.

One slight downside to the 201's is they are a tad light and have a tendency to fly off my head at the first notion of a headbang :D

*with the exception of that time I visited Quiznos four times in one day