Macbook Sounds Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by majresorter, Oct 24, 2013.

1. majresorter macrumors newbie

I am having a problem with my sound on the MacBook Pro. I used the computer to play sound through HDMI, after doing so the sound quit working through my external speakers. I had no red light and headphones worked. For about two weeks I could get it working for a little bit by blowing in the head phone jack. After about two weeks a red light came on and I didn't have sound for about three weeks, but headphones worked perfectly. During this time I would also hear the sound on the startup and tried the toothpick trick, blowing in it, and about every other suggestion on the internet.

However, about three days ago now, my headphones won't work either. Unlike the external speakers the computer recognizes them and the sound is not greyed out, but no sound will be coming out. I haven't been able to find any fixes but I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed by re-installing something.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Try to Reset Your PRAM or use a toothpick and gently twirl the end in port for a couple of seconds. See if that helps.