macbook speaker hiss

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brisweeney, Nov 7, 2008.

1. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

i have a 2.4 black macbook since may and lately ive been noticing that when alert sounds, such as new mails from thunderbird and msn messanger create a kind of hiss.....in fact it sounds like a ping then hiss, lasting for less than a second id say. playing music the speakers are fine, it seems to be just when alerts are played.

is this a problem with speakers? a corrupt sound file? anyone else experienced it?

thanks for the help

2. smokestack macrumors member

i also experience this.
    it's a noted problem.
    i also find that when i am listening with headphones, volume at 1or2, i get weird robot bleeps and hissing.
    there have been many suggestions as to what causes it. (input/output board.... i can't recall what else

not cool.

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I think just about everyone has this problem. It has to do with the sound card turning on after it was asleep. Then shortly after your alert sound it will go back to sleep. It's a pain when you have the volume on high. I hear it best with headphones.

So here is the sequence of events:

Silence-Pop-Alert Sound-Hiss-Silence.

4. brisweeney thread starter macrumors regular

brisweeney

i wonder if this issue has been fixed for the alum macbooks/pro's. considering one in the new year. i know they've changed the speakers from plastic to metal and added a sub woofer.

wonder if there is any fix for this on macbooks?

5. brisweeney thread starter macrumors regular

brisweeney

thats exactly it. as long as its not just me, it puts me at ease, but its quite annoying....

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I'm using the aluminum MB. It has the same problem. So do the new MBPs.

But I do have to say that the speakers themselves are better than previous MBs in terms of loudness.

7. braap13 macrumors newbie

My new macbook also has this sound. The sequence of mine is more of silence-crackle-pop-silence. It does it about once a minute, sound on or off. Even if headphones are plugged in it will still come from the speaker.

My question is would Apple exchange my computer because of this? Its not affecting anything, but it is really annoying. This is my first Mac and love it except for this annoying popping sound.