Macbook specification for editing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by i-sidd, Jul 1, 2011.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I am planning on getting a new13" macbook pro soon. I will have lightroom and silver efex pro2 and color efex.

What specification do you suggest for these programs to run fast and smooth?

I have heard that silver efex pro 2 is slow, on various forums. Is this to do with underpowered computers or the program itself no matter how fast the computer.

Kindly suggest

2. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

I use Aperture, so not sure if Lightroom uses GPU acceleration or not. I do quite a bit of editing on my 15" Macbook with the following specs:

2.53GHz Core 2 Duo
    4GB RAM
    250gb HDD (Hitachi)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

It works well, I do get some slow-downs when I get doing really heavy editing in Aperture (saying 20-30 brushstrokes deep in a Re-Touch), but overall it runs fine.

3. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Max out the ram - under $100 at Crucial.com - and you should be fine.

4. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

I use lightroom quite regularly and these specs work just fine for me. It's very snappy and rarely lags.

2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo
    8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
    320GB HD @ 5400 RPM (Hitachi)
    Nvidia 320M (256 MB VRAM)

Get as much memory as possible. 8GB was the max when I bought it.

5. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I'd spend the extra $100 and get the 750 Gb hard drive.

6. c1phr macrumors 6502

^^ This

The way Lightroom works, it uses lots of drive writes. The only slowdown I notice with my 2010 MBP is my drive's super slow read/write times. If you feel confident enough to upgrade your own or have a friend that can do it for you, you may want to go that route rather than pay the marked-up Apple upgrade price.

Get something big to store all your photos and fast for Lightroom performance.