Macbook Specifications

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beowulf666, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Beowulf666 macrumors regular

Beowulf666

I'm about to order my macbook, and I was just curious about some specifics about the machine. Basically:

-Is .2 Ghz a drastic change? will i notice a difference between 2.2 ghz and 2.0 ghz?

-Is 1 Gb ram enough or will I need 2? Will i see a drastic change?

-How many gb hard drive do you think I should get?

I'm a student going to college, and will basically be using this as a desktop replacement. My budget is a little tight, and i can't decide whether or not the little differences will make a very noticeable change. I will place music and movies on my laptop along with my school stuff as well, and you never know what I decide to put on there (maybe windows XP or vista with bootcamp, or other programs etc...)

So basically, Is the base model ($1200 canadian) good? or should i spend a few extra bucks for some upgrades?

Thanks.

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Sounds like you will be needing a bigger hard drive to me. Go with the 2.2 GHz model with 1 GB of ram and the biggest hard drive you can afford.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

more RAM will make the computer run better than a faster CPU. I reckon get the 2.0GHz model and use the saved money to bump up the RAM and HDD.

The MacBooks come with 1GB in two 512MB sticks. I think the cheapest way to upgrade is to swap one of these 512MB sticks with a 1GB stick. I have 1.5GB in my MacBook at the moment, and it runs beautifully. It'll save you money if you get it from a 3rd party manufacturer as well.

As for the HDD, the prices on the Apple site aren't too bad, so I'd advise you to upgrade the stock 80GB to a 120GB drive. I do a fair bit of image and audio manipulation, and I've still got room left over on my 120GB drive.

Hope this helped :)

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

unless you want the black model, the best thing to do is to get the middle model and upgrade the RAM and harddrive yourself.

The base model doesn't have a DVD burner, and even if you only burn DVDs once in a while, it is good to have the option.

RAM can be easily upgraded by yourself, you don't need to upgrade it through Apple. 1GB is enough to start, only upgrade to 2GB when you can afford it.

Buy a new internal HD along with your machine (check out Canada Computers, that's where I got mine) and swap out the original right away (just easier to do it off the bat then to transfer files later). You will want the biggest HD you can afford. Put the original in an external enclosure for a handy little external drive.

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Ram would be best It will make a major difference for 1-2, 1 really isn't good enough infact i have to upgrade myself.

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I've got the 2.0 GHz with 2 GB of RAM, my wife has the exact same specs as me except hers is a bit newer so she's got the 2.13 GHz (I think). We can't tell a noticeable difference between the two processors, this is likely because nothing even comes close to taxing the 2.0 GHz processor enough to make it slow down. Though lately the 2.13 is running a little slower than the 2.0.

That being said, I believe the 2.0 GHz only comes in the base model these days, and the lack of a DVD burning optical drive pretty much kills the deal in my opinion. You'll end up burning more DVD's than you thought you would; trust me you at least want the option.

I'd go with the midrange model, 2 GB of RAM and the 120 GB Hard Drive, that should be enough for a start. Just remember that they recommend that you leave at least 10% of your Hard Drive empty at all times to maximize performance, my wife's only got about 7 out of her 120 free right now and that seems to be what makes hers run noticeably slower lately. I cleared it out a few weeks ago, (we're photographers so she has a wad of images on there at all times) and it ran much better, now that she's got it full again it's slowing down again.

SLC

7. Uoila macrumors member

More ram.

I agree with scarlet over skunk. If you have the option definitely go with a slower processor with more ram. In fact ... if your looking at a SR Macbook put as much ram in it as you can afford. 4GB is at around $80 for 2X2GB.

As for the hard drive, if you can't afford it ... don't worry about it. It will only become a problem once you reach the limit .. which might be farther down the road than you think. But the RAM on the other hand ... you will definitely feel that every day.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

First, I'd say go with more RAM- I would recommend at least 2 GB.
    Second on your list would be to upgrade your HD- if you are planning on using it for a long time, go with at least 120GB.
    Worry about the processor speed last. If you can still afford bumping up to the 2.2, then do it. If you don't need the Superdrive (to burn DVDs), then you can get the lower end MacBook.

I would recommend, if you can, to go to the US to buy your MacBook. That's what I did (I went to the Galleria Mall in Buffalo, NY), and I ended up saving around $300 Canadian on the price I would have spent if I bought it at a Canadian Apple Store. :D

Cheers....

9. Beowulf666 thread starter macrumors regular

Beowulf666

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I hope it's not too late to chime in...:eek:

Firstly, a DVD burner is a nice safety, but it really goes unused most of the time. If you don't actively burn dvds, then I would say forget it. I know it's terrible that Apple forces you to choose, but for $200, you can get quite a bit of stuff.

Now, if you know the school you're going to, check out their prices first. Sometimes they have better deals, so you might be able to afford the DVD burner after all.

As for 2.0 vs 2.2, don't sweat it. You won't notice the difference.

With RAM, I suggest you simply stick with whatever Apple gives you and then buy third party. Apple charges way too much for RAM.

The HD is also usually cheaper to buy third party, and the macbook has a very easy to replace HD. You can get some pretty large capacities for pretty cheap.

However, I think your best bet is to get an external. That will give you a great deal of storage for a fairly low price. Plus, you'll need one external for backups anyways.