Macbook Speck seethrough case

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleNinja, Nov 6, 2007.

1. AppleNinja macrumors member

AppleNinja

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont know why any one would get this to be honest. i like getting hardware and not protecting it. i mean afterall i pay for the design lol

besides the pt, it probably works just fine

3. astudentis macrumors regular

i actually ordered the case for my macbook, then read some reviews some poeple seems to like and many were dis-satisfyied with it...then i came upon this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZOquliqwh2w
    so i cancelled my order :D

Macbooks in general are more scratchable then MBP, if i had a MBP i would definately get that, however with the MB, its probably better to leave the computer free and just use a sleeve type case to keep the notebook in...

my 2cents

....edit:

however this looks nice
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=dGqdq8cs-LI

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I've got the Speck clear for my 2.16 Blackbook, and couldn't be happier. I travel extensively with mine all over the US (and in the loving care of the TSA) and it does exactly what it needs to do - take the abuse I don't want the Mac to take directly.

Even if it gets replaced once or twice before I replace the Mac, I figure that's the whole point of it. It's just like luggage (which also gets killed after about two years of travel). It protects what's inside!

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I just ordered mine for my wife's laptop.

I have a co-worker who has had one on his laptop for a while and his wife has one too. I know personally several people who use them.

Their macbooks seem pretty well protected and they look pretty prestine.

Sure depending on your environment some dust may get inside and get trapped thus having nowhere to go will scratch your macbook anyway.

The person in that youtube video is probably like many people who believe "once I put this on I NEVER have to worry about it" and fail to take their share of the responsibility as to why this product failed for them.

Just because you wax your car doesn't mean the paint won't fade eventually or you won't get scratches. This case isn't a "set it and forget it" from time to time you will need to remove it, ensure no dust did get in there, clean the inside of it and the outside of your macbook.

For the reason I personally want it, it will do it's job well worth and more the 50 bucks I'm paying for it. My wife is horrible at keeping technology scratch free. So if she drops her keys on it, runs her rings, watch, over it, sits something on it, her macbook will not get scratched. What I saw in that youtube video was dust/dirt/sand that apparently got trapped via the openings in the speck cover and had no where to go but to scratch the macbook. Hell, the thing isn't air tight people. I mean if you take it to the beach chances are you'll get sand in there somehow, it's not 100% guarenteed. She complains about paying 50 bucks, she probably got more than 50 bucks protection and didn't even realize it.

Your macbook too will look like that if you cut crack and smoke meth around it. PLZZZZ! Just because you put ON a rubber doesn't mean at some point your gonna have to take it off. Eventually mr winky WILL get dirty and all rashed up!

I'm personally getting one and I'm 110% sure it'll do it's job at least 50 bucks worth, considering my wife did 100 bucks dmg to a pda phone because she said she didn't need a 40 buck cover for it? Sorry this product is exactly what I need.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I have a Red one for my MBP. It's alright. Bought it cheap from Newegg.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

9 out of 10 but I have a MBPro and the Aluminum finish is as clean as Day One!

8. AppleNinja thread starter macrumors member

AppleNinja

thanks

thanks alot ill be looking into ordering one very soon.. need a little more cash.. but will also be checking out a sleeve are they just as good if you the person who is careful with your technology?? example(my ipod video 2 years old looks brand new except for some scratches on the wheel which has been exposed... but you really can't even tell unless you catch it in the right light.)

i have a swiss synergy backpack

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories&nplm=TF765LL/A

and i am looking for a tad more protection than the amount i already have built in the backpack.... (likes to know he can drop his backpack to catch a football when hes running.. lol)

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Well the speck case is for those "unforseen" accidents or times where you just make a mistake and end up gouging your macbook. Keep that in mind.

Also keep in mind if you do get one, as i said, they aren't set it and forget it. If you take care of your tech like I do, then I'm sure you'll once and a while take the speck case off, clean both the speck and macbook then put the speck back on. That'll keep those nasty inner scratches off if you do happen by some chance get dirt in there. Remember it's not 100% protection, Only you can prevent macbook scratches/forest fires. LOL

Good luck to you, mine arrives tomorrow and got my macbook today at lunch. WOOHOO wife will either be super happy or super pissed.

10. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

My techshell seems to work just fine. Does trap some dust though. My shell already got a tiny scratch which would otherwise have been contributed to the MBP's shell...

11. iBecks macrumors 6502

I have one for my MBP and it has not caused any heat problems whatsoever.