MacBook Specs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac 2005, Nov 15, 2007.

1. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

What's the best way to find the original specs for my MacBook? Under About This Mac, my Model Identifier is listed as "MacBook2,1." I've tried searching on that but I get either the specs for the current MacBook or gaming-related issues people are having with their MacBooks.

I'm trying to determine how much RAM I can install and how large of a hard drive and what rpm hard drive I can install.

Thanks for the help.

2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

MacBook 2,1 refers to either the late 2006 or mid-2007 revisions. Apple.com has specs on all MacBooks. It has a Core 2 Duo with a 667 MHz FSB, unlike the newer ones with 800 MHz.

For this model, Apple says the limit is 2.0 GB of RAM, though you can install 3 GB (1 GB + 2 GB) and miss the possibly minor speed bump from matched pairs (see the guide linked from this forum).

As for the hard drive, I don't think capacity is an issue, if it's 2.5" SATA. Any rpm up to 7200 is probably also not an issue, but others here can have better answers born of experience.

3. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

What year was it released? That can help, you might want to post some specs like processor speed, L2 cache, etc.

You can find this on the hardware section of "System Profiler". That is found under /Applications/Utilities. You can also look under "Serial-ATA" to find the hard drive size.

As for installing a new hard drive as long as it's a 2.5" HD, you can install it pretty much. It can be 4200, 5400, 7200 rpm. You want a faster RPM hard drive, but the faster it goes the less battery life you may get. Here is instructions for installing it: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

New RAM, just go to http://www.crucial.com and pick your MacBook and it'll tell you the max RAM you can add.