MacBook spill, need help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by emfh, Apr 24, 2008.

1. emfh macrumors newbie

So, a child spilled some soda on my keyboard. When it's all said and done, it ended up almost as positive as it could. I quickly removed the computer, did not hit the child, and tried to contain the spill. As expected, several keys are sticky. The space bar was bad, but I pried that off, wiped it down and it's okay. I need to do that with a few more keys still (especially the m and n).

My problem is the mouse button. It's very stuck and makes a hard clicking sound when i try to click with it. Double clicking is nearly impossible, and though it's technically usable, and I can always buy another mouse, I want to fix the button. Obviously I can't take it to apple. If I were to remove the topcase would that provide access to the mouse button and where it's sticky so that I can clean it? Any other suggestions?

2. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Probably not. I took mine apart to swap out a bad LCD. I noticed that there is a metal grill under the bottom of the keyboard that separates the top assembly from the logicboard. I don't know if removing that gives you access to the key or not. Maybe it's worth it to just buy a new top assembly. They're pretty cheap on eBay. (Search for "macbook top".) You're lucky you didn't fry the logicboard. MacBooks are very unforgiving with spills.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

I have removed every button from the keyboard to clean except the mouse button, I was not able to remove it. Replace the keyboard if it remains a problem.

4. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I am only making this next suggestion as a last option after you've exhausted all other options and are faced with purchasing a new keyboard and upper case for your MacBook

I've read where others have removed their keyboards and submerged them in water overnight after spilling soda on them. They then allowed the keyboard to dry for a couple of days, reassembled and reported everything worked correctly. These were NOT MacBook keyboards, but I imagine the process would be the same with a MacBook keyboard.

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

This made me laugh out loud :D.

But I am sorry to hear about the spill though :(

6. tvdave macrumors newbie

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd mention what I did. I spilled Pepsi on my Intel White 2.4GHz Macbook and it screwed up the trackpad button too. It worked, but the stickyness of every click drove me nuts for months.

I thought after enough use or time, the stickiness would go away but it didn't. I finally thought to disconnect the power, took out the battery, and poured isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol from the top of the trackpad and let it drip down through from the top of the trackpad button to the bottom just above where the battery is when in place. I clicked the mouse button repeatedly and put pieces of paper into the little slots between the button and the metal plate beneath it to absorb the alcohol with the hope that the alcohol would dissolve the soda and the paper would absorb it. IT WORKED! My trackpad mouse button is now completely back to normal and the stickiness is no longer driving me crazy.

Obviously there are risk associated with doing this, such as totally screwing up your entire MacBook, so try it at your own risk! My thought was that I couldn't deal with it anymore, and it if totally screwed it up, I would replace the entire keyboard layer. Fortunately for me it worked, so I didn't have to. I claim no responsibility for anyone that tries this, but I am now completely satisfied again with the response of my MacBook's trackpad mouse button.