MacBook Spill

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frost17, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Frost17 macrumors regular

Long story short, coffee was spilled onto my MacBook Pro and seeped into the keyboard... and you know the rest.

Surprisingly, you can still search the net and things, but it's beyond "laggy" - which is expected.

I've tried to re-install the OS, but the HD constantly locks up and freezes mid-install.

Should I just scrap it?

2. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Ouch. I suppose the decision to scrap vs. repair will depend on a few things, such as what size Macbook it is, how old it is, how much you paid for it.

3. Mersailios macrumors regular

Your best bet would be to visit a Genius Bar at an Apple Store (if one is available in your location) or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to find out what components have been damaged and how much the cost of any associated repairs would come to.

4. derickdub macrumors 6502

http://guides.macrumors.com/Spilled_Liquid_On_My_Mac_or_Keyboard

Hopefully you went through the steps on that guide immediately after that spill. Otherwise you could have done the damage that's done by not. If you haven't, I suggest doing it while it still at least works.

Also, you're going to have to pay full price for the repairs, which depending on you're model may or may not be worth it.

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

6. echosky81 macrumors newbie

The problem is coffee has a lot of chemicals in it so it probably will cause issues down the line even if dried but you may be able to get away with a simple hard drive swap versus $1000 Genius Bar appointment. Your call really.

7. Frost17 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for the responses.

I got the Mac about 11 months ago, it's an 13". I actually paid nothing for it since I had a plethora of reward points on my credit card.

I'll see if I can setup an appt. with the local Apple Store, but if it's going to cost close to half or more of the newer models, I'll just buy a new one.