Macbook Spits Out PS1 Discs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bob616, Aug 20, 2008.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

When i put a PS1 disc into my macbook it spits it out after a couple of seconds. Why does this happen.

2. rd261 macrumors regular

PS1 as in playstation 1? If thats the case its probably because the macbook is not able to read the disc.

3. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

i see stupid people..

what? u want to know why your macbook wont play ps1 games.....possibly because a mac isnt a PS1, and therefore not fit to read or play PS1 games!

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Can't read the disc since it does not conform to any known format.

TEG

5. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

when it is running windows through bootcamp it spits it out too and one of my friends non-mac (dell) laptop running windows does not spit it out.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Are you trying to run a PS1 emulator through Bootcamp? I used to play Intelligent Qube all the time back when I had my VAIO.

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

If Windows cannot read the disc, it usually just let's it sit there, especially if it is a tray-load CD/DVD unit (like most, if not all, Dells). Slot-load units (like on the Mac) will sometimes spit it back out automatically.

8. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

why cant it read it though.... the disk is in good condition and other devices can read it.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Because the disc is not in a recognized format. Macs by default only accept media that conform to standards, (CD Audio, RedBook, FAT32, UFS, NTFS, HFS, HFS+), the PS1 and other gaming systems do not follow any of these standards, therefore the drive automatically ejects the drive incase it is not really a disc or is designed to dammage the drive.

TEG

10. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

i understand what you are saying but that does not explain why when running windows through bootcamp it still ejects the disc.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

BECAUSE IT'S A SLOT LOADING DRIVE. READ:

12. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. tolerant2 macrumors newbie

This Shouldn't Be a Formatting Problem

PSone disks can be read just fine on my iBook G3 running 10.3.9.

Oh yeah, the PSone disks also work on the iMac G5 I have running 10.4.

And the PSone disks work on PowerBook G4 running 10.5.

On all of these computers I can play the PSone games using an emulator called PSX for Mac OS X.

Unfortunately my MacBook Pro automatically spits them out. Clearly this isn't a formatting problem, because all the other computers are able to read them. Apple probably deliberately added a component to their cd drive that automatically rejects cds that have black surfaces.

I can't imagine why though. Damn you Apple.

Does anyone know a way around this? Other Apple computers with the same operating systems read the disks just fine.

14. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

PS1 discs are just regular CD-ROM discs. they just have a certain data style. but they are CD-ROMs in the end. i guess its just that your macbook's drive just doesnt want to accept it. but PS1 discs will go in external drives and windows based computers im sure of it. i have popped in ps1 discs in before

15. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

It's most likely that the newer drives just have pickier lasers that don't like the black discs, so they spit them out. I'd use a different computer or a cheap external drive and make a copy.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

PS1 discs work quite well on my Macbook Pro. Shows up as two CDs when inserted and it's somewhat playable using vmware fusion. PSX crashes or gives me a load error on the Mac side.

Attached Files:

17. Macvillain macrumors newbie

Its not the disc thats the problem, its the disc drive on the macbook. I have a whole ton of blank Memorex CD-R's (with a black bottom) that i used to burn music and disc images onto all the time with my iMac. Then I traded my iMac for a MacBook with some guy on craigslist, and now i have a whole bunch of useless blank cd's. My MacBook spits out the disc within a matter of seconds. I thought my drive was bad, so i took it to an apple "Genius." He tried to tell me that all my blank cd's were bad. I tried to kindly explain that they worked just fine with my iMac, but being the Genius A Hole that he was he just kept on insisting that all my cd's were bad. All i wanted him to do was agree with me that it was that specific model disc drive that wouldnt recognize the cd's, but he never did. I didnt feel like fighting with the guy, so i just bought a new pack of CD-R's and went home.

Sorry for the long rant. Moral of the story is your MacBook will not read any cd's with a black bottom.

18. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

You should have walked over to one of the iMac floor models, loaded one of your "bad" CDs into the iMac, burned a few programs to your "bad" CD and then asked the Genius if you could leave the store with your "bad" CD. :D

19. Macvillain macrumors newbie

I know i really should have done that, but i was late for work (i work at the store right next to the apple store in the mall) i didnt even wanna bother with it. I really try to give the the genius the benefit of the doubt, mainly because of all the good things i have heard about them really doing all they could to help the customer on here, but mostly all the ones i have ever talked to think they know everything and are A Holes. (sorry for the run on sentence)