Macbook Squeaky Space Bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rumbach, May 29, 2007.

1. Rumbach macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Just pulled the trigger on a Macbook 2.0 ghz, added Crucial RAM, migrated all of my previous Macs files (867 MDD G4 Tower), and I couldn't be happier.

Except.

The spacebar squeaks everytime I hit it in the middle - either side is fine, but anytime I key it in the center, it squeaks. It is driving me insane.

Unfortunately, I live 200 miles from the nearest Apple Store, and would prefer not to send in a brand new laptop for repair on a squeaky key. Any remedies that are fast and easy?

Thanks!

2. 66217 Guest

3. heatasmallhouse macrumors regular

4. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

I just bought the brand new 15" 3rd-gen LED MacBook Pro and... guess what... squeaky spacebar..

After a google search, so glad to hear that I'm not alone!! In fact the whole keyboard seems to have a rather stiff feel to it compared to the luscious feel of my PowerBook G4's.

Why do they have to make every damn thing in China now? I swear that's the problem. I mean I would pay a bit more for something that wasn't made of crap.

Anyway how do you fix this? It's damn annoying, and I have half a mind to take it back to the Apple Store along with the light-saber I got from Sharper Image and tell them either give me my money back or I open up a can of Sith whoop-ass.

-=DG=-

5. SVG macrumors newbie

That happened to my H key, I brought it back to the store and they fixed it under AppleCare.

6. S2NINJA macrumors member

S2NINJA

that just happened to mine.

You can use compressed air can as suggested. (although that didn't work for me).

If you really get desperate, just take the entire space bar key off. I did it, it takes some time to get it back on. but it's actually a pretty simple procedure. there are guides online. (PS if you do it, make sure to line up the 2 metal bars correctly or it'll make clicky sounds...)

If you're too afraid, then take it to an apple store, and the tech should be able to do it for you.

Good luck! (i know it's really annoying!) :eek:

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

remove the spacebar and put it back on.

worked for me.

8. csketch7 macrumors newbie

mine 2

the keyboards are nice but need to stop breaking my h, spacebar, and caps key and mabie some unoticed stuff are being unresponsive or risistant :( im takeing it in today