Macbook SR 2.2, 4GB, and Kernel Panics with DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bobioden, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I had a 2.2 SR Blackbook with 4gb installed. I got the kernel panic last week for the umpteenth time, and restarted. I inserted a DVD and nothing. It wouldn't play or it wouldn't eject, made some weird noises, and the fan went nuts. I shut down, and tried to restart, and got the blue screen. No sounds, no apple logo, or the winding gear, just a light blue screen. I Called Applecare and was told to start the Macbook with the clickpad pressed, and the DVD will eject. No go. I made an appointment, and went to see a Mac Genius. After 30 minutes I was told the Logic Board and Optical Drive needed to be replaced. One in stock, one had to be ordered. I am sure it is not going to fix the DVD problem, I just want my Mac up and running again.

Optial Drive took 4 days to install, logic board was tested as fine once the Optical Drive was replaced.

UPDATE: Today

Received my Macbook back last night, and had the same problems. I went back to Apple today, showed them the log, showed them the link to their own Apple site that I am not nuts, and this is happening to others with 4gb of ram, and 2.2 SR. The Genius went to the manager and came back with these options.

#1 replace it with a new Macbook
    #2 Full credit towards a Macbook Pro

I went with a new Macbook Pro., 2.4, 2 GB ram which will be replaced with my own 4gb, 200GB Hd, and its own Graphics card Nvidia 8600 with 256mb. I could not be happier.

Go Apple, You ROCK

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Me Too!

This isn't exactly the same, but recently (I got this macbook in january and this started happening about 1.5 months ago) I started getting kernel panics every 2nd or 3rd time that I open DVD player or insert a DVD. I restart and then it will work another 2 or 3 times and then kernal panic again when starting DVD player.

I also have 4gb of ram, but i'm not sure if that matters. I had them since I got my computer, so i don't think that has anything to do with my problem...

I have been meaning to take it ot the apple store. I have sent multple reports to apple and have installed updates and run checks and nothing but that stupid kernel panic every few times I open dvd player.

What is the problem? Mine is also a 2.2 SR whitebook.

I guess I will have to go in and talk to them about it. I just can't really afford to be without my computer. :(

3. Bobioden thread starter macrumors 68000

Bobioden

4. Bobioden thread starter macrumors 68000

Bobioden

There seems to be quite a few who are experiencing this problem.