Macbook SR exchange due to buzz noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gyumilly, Jan 23, 2008.

1. gyumilly macrumors member

I'm proud to be an owner of macbook SR 2.2. Everything is great. I love the design, performance, keyboard not to mention OSX. But the problem is the buzz noise from left side of the keyboard. It sounds like an old bulb making a fly/bee noise.

I know this has been addressed, but I'm wondering if anyone actually exchanged and got a replacement unit without any noise. This really bugs me when I'm in a quite environment, but if this is just typical behavior of SR macbook or no one had any success on getting a better one. I certainly do not want to send this back if I don't get a better one or worst yet getting a louder one.

I did a search, but it seems that some people just live with it, and others claim they don't have any issue. Or maybe some people don't even notice. If anyone got a replacement unit without any buzz, please let me know.

2. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

How loud is the buzz? I think I have a similar buzz, but it doesn't seem loud enough that it has bothered me..

3. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Would you happen to be talking about the Core 2 Duo CPU whine? If so, that affects all laptops with the Core 2 Duo in them, be it from Apple, Dell, HP and so on. Do a quick Google search on "Core 2 Duo whine" to see for yourself.

4. BigPana macrumors newbie

BigPana

whoops, wrong thread, multiple windows up. : )

5. gyumilly thread starter macrumors member

It is not really loud, but when I'm in a quite room or everybody sleeps, I can clearly hear that buzz noise. Yes, I have Core 2 Duo with santa rosa, but I'm not sure if this is from CPU or fan. It sonuds like 'brrrrr' or very very soft rattle, or noise an old flucent(?) light would make, but annoying enough.

If I understand the word 'whine' correctly, it's a high pitch noise. Mine doesn't sound like that. I changed my fan speed, but doesn't seem to help.

If this is a typical thing on macbook or Core 2 duo, I guess I can live with that.