Macbook SR Keyboard died

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JosephEsquivel, Feb 14, 2008.

1. JosephEsquivel macrumors regular

So last week im working on some photos in iPhoto, and i go to type somethin in google and realize my keybaord isnt working. I remember htis happening a few times before so i reset, but still nothing. Now my F keys and my arrow keys worked, but nothing else. Now this is the new SR MB I got in Nov, so its only 3 months old.

So I call apple, and they schedule me a genius bar appt that nite, and i go take it in. They run some diagnostics, their usual thing, and after half an hour they figure they will just replace the keyboard part and have it ready by 3 the next day.

Next day i call around 5 since i havent received an A-Ok call yet and they tell me they replaced it 3 times and it's still nto working. Now im a little pissed cause i need my MB for work, but they say this:

"I worked on it all day and it's still not working, so i transfered all your files to a new one, you can come get it anytime"

I go to get my new MB and sure enough it has everything my old one had on it. Bravo Apple, youve made me a Mac man for life

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

There ya' go. If it were always that easy. Sometimes I wish my machines would die weirdly like that. Apples since 1978, and only one power supply die in the whole time. No surprise new Macs. Sigh...

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't take this the wrong way, but did you check your Num Lock button? Incredibly, that's a general source of confuzzlement with regards to keyboards not working. Plugging in 3 new keyboards wouldn't fix the problem, either. Sometimes, that Num Lock light just doesn't go on, or isn't bright enough to see, particularly in daylight outside.

4. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

um....the macbook doesnt have a num lock key....theres a Caps lock that wouldnt light up, if thats what you mean...

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

That is why I dislike the Macbook styled keyboards.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I like the keyboard but replacing it looks like a pain when compared to the old G4 laptops. Taking off the upper case of the laptop is a bit much.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

F6 on the MB. Lights up & everything.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

9. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

on mine F6 doesnt do anything

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not the SR MB, see this KB article.

edit:seems like me and Eidorian wrote exactly the same thing, although Eidorian was much quicker.

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Never have I been so happy to be both wrong and have "yesterdays" model. :p

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

While the numberpad is nice on the older models I really do enjoy the media function keys. I even went with the wired keyboard just for the Numpad.

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I got one of those for wifey's iMac, and I just looked at it closely for the first time. What's the intended function for F3 & F4? And for that matter, is there a "new" default sequence for the Expose' and Spaces keys? (F8-F12 on the pre-SR MB).

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The previous Apple KB link is still relevant. The new Apple laptops and keyboards have identical function key layouts now from F1-12.

15. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

Oh well, the whole point was that Apple went above and beyond with replacing my entire MB when they could have sent it in for a week or two

16. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

New SR Machines have NUM Lock on F5 and that is not even remotely likely to be a fix considering an apple genius wouldn't open a new machine for a numlock button pressed.... Come on..... seriously?

And what a positive story to hear.... Good for you man.