MacBook (SR) Memory Upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SnowLeopard2008, Aug 7, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I have a MacBook (SR) 2.2GHZ with 1Gb of memory. I took a peek at the activity monitor and saw that my ram was being used extensively and almost always using the max with 10-20MB free. I was thinking of upgrading my ram, but I can't decide on which brand, crucial - micron - or samsung. The last two are from macsales.com which claims they are factory originals. So which brand? Any advice? Crucial is $50 for my system, while the other two from macsales.com is approx. $60. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

3. atluten macrumors 6502

+2 for Crucial. I've always had good experiences with them.

4. stone315 macrumors regular

+1 for crucial. shipped on time, installed it yesterday no problem.

5. vultureboy70 macrumors member

I went with Kingston 4GB from newegg.com for around $100 6 months ago, but really any of the major brands will be fine like crucial, samsung, nanya, hynix, owc. Actually we just had a hynix stock RAM fail on us at the office. I'd suggest going with 2x2GB if you have the budget. If you're only going with 2x1GB, then I'd suggest eBay, I was able to get a hynix 1GB stick for $10 shipped. Basically 1GB sticks are way more than 50% cheaper than 2GB sticks. Good luck!

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I think if you are upgrading you should bump the Ram from 2x512 to 2x2gb. You can get Crucial 4gb at Newegg for around $100.

7. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Thanks, I might be just going with crucial, since there is a electronics store nearby that carries it. And I don't have to budget or need for 4GB memory, I think I'll be content with 2GB, since my activity monitor shows around 1GB of normal memory use.

btw, whats the factory original brand? I heard it was hynix, but I'm not sure...

8. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar