MacBook SSD Cady or SSD Enclosure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ryan101, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ryan101 macrumors member

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can get SSD Cady or HD Enclosure so that I can put the SSD from a broken MacBook inside and recover the data, like you can with SATA. I found a few on Amazon but they for very old MacBook models. I am looking for ones for MacBooks made in the last 1-5 years.

Thanks.

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

If you are talking mSata SSD, OWC may have an envoy enclosure that would work.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If talking about a SATA SSD any USB 3 enclosure should be OK. For max speed get an enclosure that does UASP.

4. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Yes, I am looking for enclosures of caddy's for SSD's not SATA. But the principle is the same. So you take your hard drive out of your old mac, put it into the caddy, and then connect the canny via USB to another computer so you can copy the data. I am only looking for the SSD types. I have found that the connection vary slightly between macbook models even between SSD's.

I have to say I have found the people on this forum super helpful.

Thanks.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

SSD is a type of storage, the same as HD. Either type could have a SATA or PCIe interface. An enclosure could have an internal SATA or PCIe interface and have an external interface such as TB1, TB2, USB2, or USB3. It could be tough to find an empty enclosure that uses PCIe.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Retina models and Air models use a non-standard "blade" style storage module like in this photo. If you want an external enclosure for one of these, OWC makes a device called Envoy that will work, but they don't have one yet for the 2013 models. Is this what you mean?

[​IMG]

8. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the education on connection types. I was looking for one for 2012 models. I never came across this company OWC before. I will search and try and buy one of their products.