Macbook Stained - how to clean it up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i-sidd, Jul 5, 2007.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I should have been more careful, but I kept my macbook on a sofa pillow and now when I looked at the bottom of my macbook it has slight reddish color on the bottom of the macbook.

What can I use to clean it up and get it back to its original color.

Thanks for any ssuggestions

2. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I'd try something like iKlear or a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. ;)

(Be careful with what you use though)

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

The Magic Eraser put little scratches all over the shiny part of my iBook (obviously didn't try on my MacBook), worked wonders on the palmrests though. First thing I'd try is a damp cloth.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I would try a cloth and rubbing alcohol (don't use paper towels).

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

White vinegar and water are the only things safe to use on plastic… Alcohol can cause some plastics and protective coatings to crack, etc.

6. iCliché macrumors newbie

iCliché

Try some nail polish remover + pads - only a little though. It worked for my iBook.

7. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

speaking of which...i was doing some drawing/smuding at uni with a 2B pencil and needed to search something on google, so it did...when i finished i noticed that i had a grey stain on the hand rests

would the above measures fix this as well?

8. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

Please be careful with the magic erasers. I absolutely love them and used them and took a picture to show the effects. Please remember my macbook wasn't really that dirty but you can still see the effects those sponges had on my MB. But given the cleaning prowess those things have I'd suggest ONLY use it on the palmrests, and keyboard (carefully) and NEVER on the display or the polished surfaces. And in my personal opinion it really is enough to use them once a month or once in two months. Hope the little picture of mine showed the effects a little;-)

byakuya