MacBook stand causes BT issues?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by daniel_m123, Apr 5, 2018.

1. daniel_m123 macrumors newbie

daniel_m123

Hey everyone,

I am using a MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) with High Sierra and I am experiencing heavy bluetooth issues with my Magic Mouse 1 since a few weeks. I tried almost everything form:

- different mousepads/batteries
    - PRAM/SMC reset
    - reset BT module/remove all BT devices/delete BT Pan from network settings/delete BT preferences
    - disable Handoff
    - reinstall High Sierra
    - replaced the BT drivers with those from Mavericks
    - turned off all BT devices in my apartment
    - switched to Apple Magic Keyboard from noname BT keyboard
    - replaced the router with a newer one to use the 5g band

Nothing, seriously nothing helped for long. Now, it seems that I figured whats going on. It is so easy, that I am almost too embarrassed to tell. I have been using a Macbook stand now for a while. Something similar to this:

[​IMG]

Raising up the MacBook a few inches causes issues that serious that I was almost unable to use the mouse. To verify the 'solution' I obviously tried that a few times. It really seems that the stand is the cause of the problem. Any idea how the hell this can happen? I mean that's just four to five inches upwards and the stand is made of wood. Is the BT module in such a bad position that it needs to be on the same level as the mouse? I really would love to use that stand as it makes work so much easier.

Cheers.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What’s that stand made of, metal could block the Wi-Fi radio signal!

3. daniel_m123, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018

daniel_m123 thread starter macrumors newbie

daniel_m123

It's fully made of wood. There is not even a screw in it. I am really confused ;)

Edit: What is also quite interesting is that once I put the Macbook onto the stand the AFH Channel Map Viewer from Bluetooth Explorer (XCODE) looks very different. It seems like there are suddenly more interferences? Or any other idea?

Attached Files:

4. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

I can't imagine 6 inches above the house causing so many issues. Maybe the wood is positioned near the BT antenna and that is causing the issue.

My wife and I had too many issues with our MM v1 mice that we quit using them. We gave one away to a friend, who BTW loves it, and the other sits in a case.