Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackid16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I charge my macbook everyday because it empties very fast i find. My battery status is 99-100%(istatpro) and i also keep it at low brightness so that my battery runs out less fast. Once its charged I unplug it so that I dont ruin the battery as quickly. I have also realized that i can have 80% battery and close my macbook(put it on standby) and come back to it at the end of the day at 20%. Its obviously the standby light flashing all day and its nuts! IS THERE A WAY TO STOP THE LIGHT. I dont want to turn it off because i come in once and a while to use it for 10 minutes about 5 times a day. Its is 1.5 months old and i did calibrate it when i got it and one month after. How is your macbook doing? Does your battery run for a long time.

any answers and comments are appreciated

Thanks, mackid16.

herman238

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
It's unlikely to be the light, LEDs use very little power.

You have to remember the memory is still powered, although yours seems to be using way too much power. My battery goes down 5-10% overnight if on standby

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Try SmartSleep. That gives u the option of saving the RAM contents to the HDD upon sleep, meaning no battery will be used whilst it's asleep. However, it will take longer to go to sleep as the memory contents has to be written to the disk. Full details of the settings are on the authors site.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
It's unlikely to be the light, LEDs use very little power.

You have to remember the memory is still powered, although yours seems to be using way too much power. My battery goes down 5-10% overnight if on standby

Agreed, you could run that sleep light for a year straight on the MacBook battery.(if thats all that was being powered)
But yea you shouldnt be loosing that much power while its sleeping. I loose about 2% for 7-8hrs of sleep. As 'sallythemac' suggested, try out SmartSleep

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
That seems really abnormal that you're so cautious with your battery, and it's still running down so quickly. How old is your battery? If you've still got Applecare, you should take it to a Genius.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
That seems really abnormal that you're so cautious with your battery, and it's still running down so quickly. How old is your battery? If you've still got Applecare, you should take it to a Genius.

He very well could have a defective battery. The battery that shipped with my MacBook was bad. Apple looked at it for 2 seconds and gave me a new one no questions asked.
It never hurts to make a genius appointment!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.