Macbook Start Up Screen Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sawyersw, Aug 9, 2009.

1. sawyersw macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Anyone have any tips on how to resolve the issue shown above?

So far I have already covered these steps:

1. I have tried a safe boot.

2. I have tried to reset the NVRAM and the PRAM.

3. I have tried to reinstall OSX from the Install Disk.

4. I have tried to repair the HD and tried to repair permissions using the Disk Utility.

The issue started out as the flashing Apple/Question Mark Folder/"No" sign. I attempted to follow the steps on the Mac Support Forums (ones listed above) and the issue developed into the picture shown. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really would hate to have to start from scratch and erase everything. Thanks!

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

You should also reset the SMC.
    Take out the battery and unplug the power cord, then hold down the power button for at least five seconds.
    What you're experiencing is called a kernel panic.
    You can read about it here on Apple's website. And here.

3. sawyersw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. Resetting the SMC didn't directly help but I did indirectly find out about the Archive and Install function and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks again!

On a side note, I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Archive and Install process, but do you know if it is okay for me to remove the previous system by deleting the Previous Systems folder? I could really use those the 11ish GBs back.

4. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Yeah. Once you get all of the stuff you need out of it you can delete the whole thing.