Macbook Start Up Time

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Holmes89, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

I just purchased my Black Macbook (and I'm extremely happy with it). I just feel like I've finally "moved into" it (customizing it to my liking) and I was wondering how long it takes other Macbook owners to start up. I'm running with 4 gigs of RAM and I have boot camp working but since installing boot camp my speed has fallen from 30 seconds to 45 seconds. Is this normal? Thanks

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I have a 2.4 WhiteBook 4GB Ram, 320 HD, with BootCamp Vista and I start in about 29 Seconds, only start up programs are quicksilver and itunes helper.

3. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Do you know what could be making mine slower?

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Do you have any start up apps. Check by going to System Prefs > Accounts > Your Account > Login Items.

5. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Well I restarted just so I could get a more accurate picture, it takes 10 seconds until I see the Apple Logo, 29 seconds for the gray to go away, and then 40 to fully start. Would the random wallpaper do that?

6. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

One week old MacBook running Leopard 10.5

Test done with stop watch today.
    ========================
    Power button to spinning disc = 21 sec.

Power button to Log-in = 32 sec.

Power button to all Login apps. opened (iChat, Safari, iMail, & iCal) Airport Express on = 42 sec.=========================

Seems pretty fast to me. Your thoughts?

7. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

How much of a difference will that make? I was measuring until I saw my dock.... apps load after the dock don't they?

8. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

They tend to, also try repairing disk permission this is a leading cause to slow downs. Do this by "Disk Util" select the disk and repair permissions.

9. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

I tried that and if anything it made it longer, I'm going to try it one more time but is there anything else I can do?

10. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Well I think I'm going to be stuck at around 45 seconds, which isn't too bad I guess, I was hoping to stay around 30. Are there any other suggestions? My grey screen goes away a lot quicker now but stays on the blue on longer, any ideas?

11. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

From what I could find people are suggesting just letting it run for a few days so the system gets acquainted with updates and programs that I've been installing, something about "hot files". So I guess I'll let it run for a few days and see what happens.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=437614

12. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Another thing is that you have to remember that your computer is always indexing, after a longer amount of time with no major changes the system will speed up because it will not be indexing as much for spotlight.

13. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Yeah I have put it through a lot. Music ripping, installing a bunch of apps (including office), and I also had problems with Boot Camp (it wouldn't partition right so I had to attempt multiple times). Needless to say I think I moved things around enough that OS X would need to index. Once the computer starts up it is really snappy so I don't have a problem with that. Thanks for the help.

14. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Not quite sure you couldn't do a search, same forum in fact: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=512678

My reply in that topic:

15. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

Mine is between 40 seconds to 1 minute.

I think this is fairly normal. I believe Tiger was around 30ish seconds, and it is generally agreed that Leopard boots slower than Tiger did