MacBook Start Up, Wake from sleep Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itinkyou22, Jul 28, 2007.

1. itinkyou22 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I have purchased my first Apple MacBook last month, and Everything is great, except this one thing. When wake up my macbook from sleep, by opening the screen, it makes this noisy sound for 1 second. It sounds like the hard disk is moving the head or st, or more likely the optical drive is starting to work, but the sound comes from the right side of the trackpad.

One of my friends have Black Macbook, and i tried the same thing on his laptop to see if the same thing happens, but his laptop didn't make the noise when turning on, or wake up from sleep.

What should i do to fix this noise? help me please.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Mine makes a noise. It's the hard disk waking up I believe. Apple has seen it on my machine and never said it was a problem (and I did ask).

3. DA-Steve macrumors regular

is a noise ment to come from the speakers? i get a kind of scrunching paper/static noise when i open the lid from sleep

4. theheyes macrumors regular

I've just started to get this noise, and am still in the process of working out what it is. I got my MacBook in '06; its never done it until recently. My hard drive has also been making the occasional click which is worrying. If it gets any worse I'm going to replace it.

edit - if anyone knows what the problem with the hissing speaker may be, pm me. :)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you're hard drive is constantly clicking then verify it with Disk Utility. Repair it if necessary. As ever, keep everything backed up at all times. :)

I used to find my iBook would make a clunking noise from the optical drive when it awoke, but that was normal. It's quite distinctive and I'm not sure it's what we're all talking about here.

6. itinkyou22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys,
    i guess i'll just stick with this haha

7. kolax macrumors G3

It is the slot-drive checking you don't have a CD waiting to be inserted isn't it? Makes the same noise as inserting a CD anyway.

8. lamadude macrumors 6502

yeah it's the cd drive, it always checks for cd's on startup and wake-up from sleep

9. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Woah Apple have actually recorded the sounds? Ahahahaha nice!

Surely the OP isn't on about the CD drive sound, that's definitely distinctive and should have been apparent from the first day of having his machine.

11. point665 macrumors regular

No guys, this is not an ordinary noise - it started happening the other week to me (C2D 2.16 Macbook, black) and it comes from the left top corner (around where the esc key is). This Macbook never did it before, nor did my other Macbook - it sounds like static or then the first time I heard it I thought something was burning inside there. But now its the same noise everytime. My fan has also begun to keep noise (never did it before). I was going to go swap my machine for a new one but I guess others are having the same problem as well.

No its not the optical drive, no its not the HD.

12. kolax macrumors G3

Care to make a video?

13. point665 macrumors regular

14. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

15. iChief macrumors member

iChief

That sound is close, but like you said not as broken up, and not as long ... well, on my MacBook anyways. The noise is not that annoying as it stands, but I'm worried that it's something that could lead to problems down the line. Namely after my warranty has run out. I'd prefer to get any teething problems sorted out while I'm still under warranty. :eek:

16. point665 macrumors regular

Yeah I'll go visit an Apple store when I get back there, I dont want to go here because I know I'll get upset if they try to send my machine out for repair (since theres no real Apple stores here).

17. iChief macrumors member

iChief

I had the same issue from new. I'm still under warranty so I rang Apple Care. It must be a known issue as the guy talked me through a fix on the phone. He said the crackling sound on wake up is a static issue. The power is not being spread across the hardware components evenly, hence the static emission.

Right. On to the fix:
    Disconnect power cable, shut down computer, then remove the battery.
    Turn MacBook the right way up again, make sure power is NOT connected and press and hold the power button for 6 seconds.
    WAIT at least 30 seconds before replacing battery.
    Power up as normal.

This should solve any noise issues on wake up. IHTH :)

18. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I love the ur-eeh-whurr-ee sound that Apple portables make when waking from sleep, it's unique!

19. ophidean macrumors member

Wow, Apple surely leaves no stone unturned!! I love the sound effects. My MBP makes the same noise at startup and when woken from sleep...
    Glad to know its Normal :eek:

20. point665 macrumors regular

Yeah been meaning to do a PMU reset - but I just hate the thought of shutting 'er down...

21. iChief macrumors member

iChief

Erm, what does PMU mean? And would you believe after resetting my MacBook yesterday, which worked at the time, it made the same noise again today. :mad:
    I don't wanna have to shut my MacBook down every time it starts making a static sound

22. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

IMO it's the slot loading CD/DVD drive checking if there's a disk in it. Mine does it, the wife's does it and both my Mother-in-law and my Father-in-law's do exactly the same thing. Nothing to worry about .. :)

23. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

My Macbook (Rev C) has made the 'static' noise since day one. I wondered what it was but it's never worried me too much. From the sounds of it quite a few people have got the same noise coming from their laptops so I hope it's nothing serious but I'll be keeping an eye on the forums for people reporting it getting worse or other problems occurring.

Alec

24. point665 macrumors regular

Trust me its not that (Ive had PLENTY of Macs and I know what a optical drive sounds like) - the optical drive sound comes at a different time, if that makes any sense. And since day one of the problem Ive believed it to be power related (thought my battery was gonna exploded at first). So to everyone who doesnt have the problem: IT IS NOT THE OPTICAL DRIVE CHECKING FOR A DISK.

I have not tried resetting the PMU (Power Management Unit) yet.

Edit: I also had a 2.0 Blackbook (C2D) - it never kept this noise.

25. lplanas macrumors newbie

toot-toot

Techlover828... I have the same problem. My MBP makes an strange toot-toot sound when I want to wake it up and it doesn't stop until I force it to shut down and remove the battery.

Did you find the solution for this?

My MBP is new... I bought it three months ago!