Macbook Starter Advice / iTunes Moving Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iwuzbord, Aug 4, 2008.

1. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

I ordered my macbook on August 1st. i ordered the 2.4Ghz White model, with iwork preinstalled, and with a mini-dvi to vga adapter. is there anything else you think i need? im a student going into school for engineering and math, science, and all that cool stuff.

i also have an expansive iTunes library that i need to migrate from my pc.
    i thought about it and chose to make an ethernet network between them and share the folder over the network. when i do that should i move it all to the music folder on my mac? (that includes movies and such purchased from the iTunes store) Do you suggest any other methods of moving the library?

2. livelaughlove macrumors newbie

When I transferred over my iTunes library, I just put everything onto my iPod and used a program called Senuti to get it all onto my mac. It was pretty simple.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes if you have a gigabit network it would be quite fast to transfer it like that.

4. popeyedot macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I order a Black Macbook w/ iWork '08 pre-installed and a remote.

I bought an external hard drive (500GB) and am just going to copy my iTunes folder (My Documents --> My Music --> iTunes) to it then transfer to my macbook.

Great deal at radioshack, 500GB External Hard Drive FOR ONLY $99!!

I can't wait for it!! I got my free iPod Touch 2day, hopefully my macbook will come tomorrow since it shipped a day later...

EDIT: Make sure ou consolidate your iTunes Library first, so all of your tunes and vids are in the iTunes folder. It will make a copy of each file into the iTunes folder. Also, make sure you have enough space on your pc to do it.

5. iwuzbord thread starter macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

i thought about using senuti (they were so clever naming it that) but the problem is, my current ipod isnt large enough to hold all of my content. its only 30gb and that would involve multiple transfers. which also means multiple erases. but im glad to know it was simple to use. thanks!

im not quite sure if the network will be gigabit, because my pc is a bit older and im not sure if it has it. it has an ethernet port though. is there a way to tell if it is gigabit or not?

thanks for the tip on the hard drive. i might get that for time machine.

-----
    My music alone is about 5GB. I have alot of videos and vodcasts as well that are about 40GB all together. should i get an 8GB ipod touch that will hold my music but not my videos, but get the addition of multi-touch and youtube, or should i get an 80GB ipod classic that will hold everything? i can get them for about the same price.