Macbook Startup Chime Repeats Continuously

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ValdiCBU, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ValdiCBU macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I have a 2.26ghz Macbook and when i start it up the chime keeps repeating over and over again until i get sick of it and hold the power button to force shut it down, sometimes it will start up fine after that and boot right up and sometimes it keeps repeating again, then i just leave it for a few hours and try again and it will usually work. Also over the last day or so i've been getting a mixture of the repeating chime and the blank white screen with no apple logo and grey spiral. Other than this problem the computer is running flawlessly, does this sound like a hardware or software problem?

I've already tried reseting the PRAM and SMC, I've ran the hardware test which came up clean, checked the drive with disk utility and eventually reformatted the HDD and reinstalled Mac OSX but still no change. I'm not running any extraordinary software just google chrome, Skype etc. so that shouldn't have any thing to do with it.

If anyone out there can point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Valdi

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Even though you've checked the HDD with disk utility, and reformatted, you may have a bad connection on the board from the HDD or at the HDD that is intermittent.

If it is still in warranty, definitely call apple. Even if it's just out, call and see if they have any suggestions. Beyond that, if you're uncomfortable taking the cover off to see if you can see what's going on, then you might try to find a reputable repair person in your area.

The issue you are describing sounds like an issue of the boot sequence not finding a suitable boot partition on a drive, DVD, CD, or USB device. You can try booting from the install DVD / CD over and ove, and if it works without issue each time, then you continue to have problems with the HDD, you can pretty much guarantee that it's a hardware issue dealing with the HDD or connection to it.

Wish I could be more help,

Brian