MacBook - Startup failure - Blue screen & pointer only..!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Antietam54, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Antietam54 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help..

I have a MacBook - Core2 Duo, 2.0Ghz, I think a rev B. running 10.4.10

It starts normally with the grey screen, the the blue screen, then the splash screen & the progress bar.

Then..

Instead of presenting the loging screen, it goes blank with the pointer showing only.

I booted from Cd, checked the hardware - seems ok, i've archived & installed the OS, no difference..

So, now I'm stuck..

Hopefully someone can advise..

Many thanks in advance..

Charles..

2. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

If you're running Leopard, check out this thread. Should solve your problems, hopefully.

3. Antietam54 thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have mentioned - I'm on 10.4.10

Sorry, I should have mentioned that..

Thanks for the reply..

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

this happened to me after I installed GlowWorm, a Little Snitch-esque program. Turns out it is not compatible with Leopard, and causes the blue screen. I followed the instructions from the thread above, but with commands for GlowWorm that I found by Googling, and it worked.

I don't know if you installed GlowWorm, but the point is that there are some applications that will cause this to happen

5. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

GlowWorm is notorious for causing issues with OS X from my experiences with it (both Leopard and Tiger). I tried it just because I was looking for a free alternative to Little Snitch the day Leopard came out, and ran into this issue upon rebooting.

6. Antietam54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input - Still not resolved

Hi,

Thanks for the input..

Unfortunately, it's not quite addressing the issue. I've not installed any software... The maching has simply stopped going to the login screen..?

Any ideas..?

7. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

You might try booting from the installation disc 1 and doing a hardware test by holding down D on boot. I STRONGLY doubt that this is a hardware issue, but you may just want to check. If nothing turns up, you may have to do an archive and install.

8. Antietam54 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried both of those..

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas..

I tried both of those..

No effect I'm afraid..