MacBook stolen from home, new Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iRebecca27, Jan 6, 2009.

1. iRebecca27 Suspended

iRebecca27

My ancient macbook from the first day they were released back in May 2006 was stolen back in October. Its name was "Olga" and she was a piece of work, with an angsty, unresponsive, disc-eating optical drive and a habit of freezing and shutting off every 5 minutes. Despite its flaws, I loved it and published many a YouTube video and spanish class Keynote upon its screen
    needless to say, it was a blow to lose her, although I am now happily enjoying a new 13" aluminum macbook. It had been upgraded to iLife '08 at Christmas '07

Are there any apple enthusiasts such as myself that understand how I feel? I miss "Olga" dearly, although "Heidi" is a much faster, brighter machine...
    it's not the same, I feel like "Olga" had a personality as a machine, with her stained wrist rest and cracked case, and "Heidi" is another clone mac...
    I was raised in a Mac home

my first macbook
    [​IMG]

2. Lissa22 macrumors newbie

Sorry for your loss. I'd suggest you buy a new one. My brother just bought one from amazon, I think, he loves it [​IMG]

3. therealdt macrumors regular

is there a way to name Macs? If so, how?

thanks

4. Nintendolinky macrumors 6502

Starts off so sad :( but becomes such a happy story, i know Heidi will never be as good as Olga, but please try and treat her the same :)

5. youssefm macrumors 6502

is your macbook german by any change :)
    treat them the same, and eventually you will notice that heidi is superior to olga, and there comes a time when macbooks have to be changed (whether they break or get stolen) and you have to get over it and move on.. sorry for the previous loss ;)

6. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

Completely understand your sentiment. I have toyed with the idea of eBaying my November '06 MB in favour of the latest generation, but I can't bring myself to do it. She was my first ever Mac. I kept the box, the packaging slip, everything that came with her. Truth be told, I don't think I'll ever get rid of her, and she'll be with me until the day she powers down for good. :apple:

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

thats exactly how i feel about my imac g3. as useless as it is now, i think its gonna be around long enough for me to show my grand kids. olga was also just another mac clone when she was made, she got her personality by you using her. soon heidi will also have her own personality, but hopefully she wont shut herself off every 5 minutes

8. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Might I recommend Undercover to those with laptops vulnerable to theft?

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

thats some awesome software, thank you for that. my sister is in law school and people get their laptops stolen all the time there, not for the hardware but for the valuable information on them. of course she has her hard drive backed up but im sure she'll love to get this software for her macbook.

10. iRebecca27 thread starter Suspended

iRebecca27

thank you all, i smiled when i read your replies

the macrumors community are the only ones that understand

yes I love the german language and it shows with my choice of names

i dont believe you can officially name a macbook but yes you can in your mind :)