Macbook Stolen, Need Help Recovering From External/Time Machine Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bridge51, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Bridge51 macrumors newbie

Okkkk so my macbook was stolen, which sucks. I thankfully have a 320 gb WD external which I have used to back up with Time Machine. Problem is, I'm not buying another mac to replace it (bought an eee 901, irrelevant) I have a gaming desktop for anything serious now.

I want to get my music, photos, and documents onto my desktop PC. I DO have access to my sister's iMac, so I know I can read the external from there (my pc hasn't [yet] been able to recognize it, thanks to what I assume is the Mac-suited format).

My questions is 'is there an easier way to recover my files than to click through the external on my mac and take out all of my music/photos etc, out of each individually dated folder?'

My best idea so far is to dual boot my sister's imac with leopard and leopard, and actually use the time machine backup to restore the second partion, and just copy what i want that way. Is this a feasible option?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Bridge

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

You could connect the hard drive to your sisters computer and then you could share it is a network drive and then you would be able to see and copy from it on to your pc.

3. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

^Correct!

But sorry to hear that it was stolen. How did they steal it?

4. Bridge51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Broke into my apartment. They took a few thousand dollars worth of stuff. looooving renter's insurance.

Is there a better way to do it? I'm looking for a way to avoid clicking through each of dozens of 'dated' folders set up by time machine.

5. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

If it's just a normal HFS+ format then won't MacDrive 7 be of any use? I use it on my Vista PC for reading and writing direct to my PowerBook G4 in target mode.

You get a few days free trial.

I have no idea how Tims Machine stores it's data so the above may be totally useless :)