Macbook stolen, Photos help pleaseeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Skevaboy, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Skevaboy macrumors member

My condo was broken into today many items including my macbook, ipad, ipod were stolen!! None showing online when i sign into iCloud and check find my iphone/device, errrr!!!

My question is there any way to recover my photos that i imported into my mac from my SLR and saved in iPhoto, are they automatically saved in the cloud???

any suggestions will greatly appreciated as I dont have a backup of my Honeymoon photos and daughters birthday

thanks

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Definitely report your serial numbers, the should have them in Find my device on iCloud.

unless they were in a shared photo library or photo stream then they may not appear in iCloud or anything like that.

3. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Reporting serial numbers to Apple will be of no use, as they don't have any system to keep track. I got sacammed on eBay, luckily got my money back, but I tried reporting the computer. Until Apple puts in a kill switch in Macs like they have in the iPhone, you are really out of luck if you didn't have PhotoStream enabled for iPhoto. If they were professional Honeymoon pictures, I would assume the photographer still has those, but may charge you some to get them back.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I'll borrow a line from someone I used to work with. If the data is that important, surely you can retrieve it from your backup.

Sorry to hear of your loss but as others noted, unless you specifically uploaded the images to iCloud there's little chance they're there. I have all my pictures backed up to an external drive using TimeMachine and to the cloud using CrashPlan (there's an annual fee for this), so regardless of what may happen to my MBP or even my home, I can get back the data that can not be reproduced.

6. 960design macrumors 68020

Borrow a friends windows box and download iCloud control panel: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1687

Ensure you install theft recovery software on your next mac:
    https://preyproject.com/

Good luck, sorry for your loss and I hope the thief sells it to a cop.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:

This is why you have something called a "backup" around the house.

It's also why you have something additional called an "offsite backup", stored somewhere other than your house. For events just such as this.

Go forth, and learn.

Sorry for your loss...

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Not just backups are needed....but also Find my Phone needs to be on with iCloud in every Mac, iPad, and iPhone so the devices can be remotely locked and erased if they are stolen. And naturally all machines need access passwords.

Sorry for the loss.