Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

originalcliche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
So I come home from work the other night and my room is ran sacked and my macbook is gone. On that Macbook contained two years worth of lyrics and songs I've beenworking on in Logic and Reason. I didn't back up anything besides the sound libraries and some of the Logic files.... why because I am stupid.

Anyways.... feel my pain lol ..

Its terrible but I've learned to accept it. Now I need to get a new one.

I had a 2.2 Nov 07 Macbook with 4GB of ram 120 HD.
I am looking at getting the new Macbook Pro 13 inch 2.26 and upgrading the ram back to 4GB so essentially I'll have my old computer ( minus the files) back.

How are these things? I'm taking they are great? My Macbook was wonderful... and was my first mac. No problems ever really, nothing that couldnt be handled here in a thread.

Also when were they updated. I've been out the loop for a bit.

Any info would be great. Ill be getting on in a few weeks due to the fact I dont have 1500 just sitting around to be spent on the new one.

Cheers..

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
That blows bigtime dude. The new macbook pros are pretty sick though. This makes me want to backup my whole computer off-site instead of just my documents. A second HD for time machine is worthless if it gets stolen.

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
dude you're not even going to find out who stole it or something?

did they break into the house...
and dude i fell your pain, if that ever happened to me, ahhh i would be frustrated. and plus I'm guessing you have some cash. you can afford a better macbook now :)

If i lost my iMovie projects for my YouTube videos. I would be destroyed forever.

originalcliche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
dude you're not even going to find out who stole it or something?

did they break into the house...
and dude i fell your pain, if that ever happened to me, ahhh i would be frustrated. and plus I'm guessing you have some cash. you can afford a better macbook now :)

If i lost my iMovie projects for my YouTube videos. I would be destroyed forever.

Getting it back is unfortunatly not going to happen.

I know who stole it. Its a messy situation but lets just say its already been wiped and sold. ****ers.

So to all. Backup what ever may be important to you. I am kicking myself now. Even if your mac wont crash. It may get stolen.

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
Programs like that don't work if they erase the hard drive. It needs to be embedded in the ROM and activated on start up.

I'm gonna guess most robberies aren't committed by people with enough computer knowledge to reformat a Mac's HD. But you do have a valid point in some instances. If I stole a mac, no amount of software would bring it back to its owner.

GarryBacon

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009
United Kingdom
MacBook Pro 13"< Full Upgrade Necessary :D

Hi There,http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/cool.gif
I Am Terrible Sorry For Your Loss It Has Happened To Me And Will To Everyone Don't Worry :)
I Have The MacBook Pro 13"http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/blackapple.gif. The Specifications For This Laptop Are At There Full Potential; 500GB Hard Drive, 8GB DDR3 Ram, 2.53 GHZ And I Must Admit It Can Still Be A Bit Slow. My Friend Also Has The MacBook Pro 13" Except He Has What You Are Wanting. For The First few Weeks It Seemed Great If Anything Working Better Than Mine :S But Now (Having It For Around 4 Weeks) We Can Completely See A Difference Its Not The Best Thing And As You Can Imagine He Was Not Impressed http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

I Have Looked Into MacBook Pro Upgrade Prices And Found A Way To Get The Full Specifications Almost Without The Hefty Price Tag. You Can Just Get The Base Model And Upgrade From There Yourself Or Just Pay For The Full Price I Believe Its Around £2069.00 http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/eek.gifNot That Dear when You Think About It Is It ?http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Hope You Get It Sorted :D
GarryBacon,http://images.macrumors.com/vb/imag...acrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/blackapple.gif
Hope I Helped You :)

dnbRem

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
England
Sorry to hear man, im not sure what sounds worse, loss of macbook, or loss of music. Feel for you mate.

At least you will be able to get a new macbook now, cant you claim on insurance or anything?

Buy a back up and back it up into a fireproof safe too :)

Good luck

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I back up but I feel your pain - we never think it will happen to us. You said you know who stole it - dare I ask for more info?

Good luck with the new one.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Its terrible but I've learned to accept it. Now I need to get a new one.

I had a 2.2 Nov 07 Macbook with 4GB of ram 120 HD.
I am looking at getting the new Macbook Pro 13 inch 2.26 and upgrading the ram back to 4GB so essentially I'll have my old computer ( minus the files) back.

Also when were they updated. I've been out the loop for a bit.

I don't know if anyon actually answere your questions but the new ones are great. Much better than your 2.2 Nov 2007 MacBook I guarantee so you'll have more than just the same computer minus the files. They've been updated a few times since then so now the RAM is faster, graphics processor is much much better and more battery life, peripherals etc etc.

I know this probably sounds obious but I'd also suggest you pick up an external HDD for Time Machine. Or better yet get a Time Capsule for remote backups. It may seem unlikely that the same would happen to you again but you gotta expect the worst and hope for the best. Plus you may start to feel too comfortable and forget to get an external for your backups so do yourself and get it asap. I recommended the Time Capsule cause if someone steals your laptop they may very well take the external hard drive as well assuming it sits on your desk with laptop. A Time Capsule on the other hand would be further away and not out in the open I presume.

I got my MacBook stolen via an eBay hacker two years ago. I feel your pain trust me, luckily I had my docs but there's a reason for everything, just keep that in mind. Good luck!

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
How did it happen? Was it in a dorm or some like that? You're getting me scared pal...
I know it may sound dumb, but Apple Care wouldn't have anything related to stolen MBs, would it?

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
probably order LoJack i don't know if we can purchase it but all i know is that it should locate where the item is... and what not...

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I didn't back up anything besides the sound libraries and some of the Logic files.... why because I am stupid.
This is a valid excuse for Windows users but man... using a time machine drive on a mac is so freaking elegant, simple and foolproof that I'd have to agree with your self assessment. :D

Whatever you buy, also get a cheap external drive to go with it. Just get a 2.5" enclosure off ebay or something... it will come with everything you need for under $15. (Excluding the drive itself of course).

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
That's why you put in a firmware password.
Firmware passwords can be erased too though. It really sucks having your computer stolen. I had my MacBook Pro stolen my first year at college, and it felt horrible. Fortunately I found out who did it and got it back before any information was lost, but it still feels like you've been violated.

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Firmware passwords can be erased too though. It really sucks having your computer stolen. I had my MacBook Pro stolen my first year at college, and it felt horrible. Fortunately I found out who did it and got it back before any information was lost, but it still feels like you've been violated.

Did you kick the guy's butt?

originalcliche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Did you kick the guy's butt?

Big time..

Hopefully our house insurance will cover it and then I can go get a new one and yes, I was actually planning on using time machine but never did.... idiot i am... so now I have learned the hard way and the ONLY positive thing about this is the fact i have to start from scratch on the music which is good in a way since i wont dwell on older projects that never got finished but i kept going back to em just in case you know... oh and i get a newer macbook.. but still.. **** me in the a

monkey86

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
London
I'm gonna guess most robberies aren't committed by people with enough computer knowledge to reformat a Mac's HD. But you do have a valid point in some instances. If I stole a mac, no amount of software would bring it back to its owner.

no your right but the people they sell it too will :)

OP did you have contents insurance? i have just set it up with my bank - total cover for less than 200 quid!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.