Macbook stolen - what happens when I sync to new Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by malnar, Nov 16, 2010.

1. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

My Macbook Pro was stolen two weeks ago (from our house - got my wife's jewelry box as well) and now that things are getting settled, I'll be getting an new computer, probably an iMac since I use my Ipad for portable needs now. My concern is about what happens when we sync our Iphones and my Ipad to the new Macbook. Will I lose anything? I'm going to pull all of the music off of them first, but is there anything else I need to do?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you have a backup of your stolen MBP, put that on your new machine before you sync and you should be good to go. If you don't have a backup, not sure what to say other than get an external harddrive and use Timemachine, it works great.

3. malnar thread starter macrumors 6502a

malnar

No backup - he likely would have taken the harddrive anyway. He took anything attached to the MBP, including my Iphone cable, which is just really, really annoying.

4. gnychis macrumors 6502

i thought that sync'ing is a one way function? If so, you lose all of your music

5. malnar thread starter macrumors 6502a

malnar

Nah, there are lots of ways to get music back off of Ipods/Iphones, just not through Itunes itself. I'm not concerned about that.

I'm more concerned about apps, settings, etc. I know I can redownload them, but I don't really want to have to do that if I don't need to (plus I'll lose stuff in the apps, progress in games, etc.)

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It is, however there are "ways" to get your music of your devices (not supported by Apple of course, however that "is" your music and you have all the right to get it. A quick google search will give you several ways to do it (that do not required JB). if you are Jailbroken them is as easy as SSH

7. gnychis macrumors 6502

cool, thanks for the headsup about the two-way sync methods

8. B18DelSolT macrumors newbie

I dont know about on a mac but on a pc you just login to your itunes account right click on your device and select transfer purchases. all your apps and probably music will come over. Dont have any music on mine to say it will. Just when you sync it you will have to re-organize all your apps as it just resets where they are placed.